Tiling cloakroom floor made of chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I appreciate that this question has been as,ed alot of times before but there's so much conflicting answers

I simply want to tile onto a chipboard floor, which will be heavily screwed.

It's only about 2m2, do I really have to overboard?

If so is hardboard the best bet or ply, and if I use ply do I have to prime before tiling too it

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
this is November 5th, the one day on the year when chipboard can serve a useful purpose.

18mm or 22mm WBP ply makes a much better floor.

your not wrong, but it doesnt even burn well!

in fairness though, the amount of deflection on a 2m2 floor is likely to be tiny, and cloakrooms arent wet areas so OP could well get away with it.

Sponsored Links
Ha love the nov 5th joke, this is the first modern house I've lived in and it's chipboard and plasterboard everywhere!

Could I get away with 12mm ply, and what do I need to do to the surface so I can tile onto it?

Is that hardibacker stuff no good then, as that's only 6mm thick

Cheers

As tpt said its a small cloakroom so shall I just get some rapid set adhesive and go for it

Would save me a load of time and money if I can tile straight on.

Would you recommend any type of tile as well I.e ceramic or porcelain over a natural stone which I would imagine more likely to crack

honestly, read the article if you haven't already. Ideally overboard it with a backer-board, then use a flexi adhesive (s1). If the floor is solid with little flex get yourself an S2+ adhesive such as granfix ultimate-flex and tile straight on. if its green chip sand it to get the wax coating keyed first.

12mm ply will be fine on that area, but 6mm backer-board like no more ply is cheaper and easier to handle - its equivalent to 12mm ply.

overboard wiith 6mm hardiebacker, use a good single part flexi adhesive and flexi grout then bobs ya uncle, provided that ya chipboard is well secured to begin with

Ok gonna go for the hardibacker, screwed down. Take it I use same tile flexi adhesive underneath backer board?

Hopefully that should be ok, cheers for the advice

Ok gonna go for the hardibacker, screwed down. Take it I use same tile flexi adhesive underneath backer board?

Hopefully that should be ok, cheers for the advice

yes mate, a flexi addy then screw down, although hardie recommend the use of a polyurthane glue a flexi addy will suffice

Nice one, have access to most the usual stores, selco, bNq, homebase etc, cayou recommend the best value for money I.e cheapest from there. Had a look at that bal stuff in tops tiles seems alot of money for a small area

Cheers

Nice one, have access to most the usual stores, selco, bNq, homebase etc, cayou recommend the best value for money I.e cheapest from there. Had a look at that bal stuff in tops tiles seems alot of money for a small area

Cheers

if you have a Topps tiles near you, you can purchase 6mm hardie bcker boards from them and also buy a couple of bags of topfix flexi at £11. B&Q here in tyne and wear have bags of dunlop flexi addy at £8.00 per 20kg bag, that would do you.
In my opinion BAL is the best available or Mapie
hope this helps you

Yeah helps alot, got a bNq near by and I think also seen the Dunlop stuff in selco so will prob use that cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back