Hardwall and tiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Ive 2 walls to have retiled in bathroom. Existing tiles go from floor up but only half way. Both walls were plastered some years ago. I removed tiles from walls. Unfortunately it removed some of the plaster with the tiles, down to the brick work. In some areas the plaster was half an inch thick! That was the smaller window wall. On the 2nd wall, where the bath is connected to the wall the previous tiles were only 3 tiles from the bath edge and 2 tiles down the side of bath. No tiles underneath,where it wouldn't be seen. Removing those tiles was same result. But i had to remove more old plaster about a metre from where the tiles were. My question is: can i replace removed plaster with hardwall then skim then retile as before or do i have to remove every bit of old plaster from the two walls? Many thanks for any help and suggestions. Cheers?

Sponsored Links
whats the original that’s come off the wall? sand / cement or a gypsum undercoat?

Hi bennymultifinsh.
Thanks for your response, to be honest im a newcomer to the plastering malarkey and its my understanding its been something like (believe it or not) 35-40 years since those tiles were 1st put there. Im sorry to say ive no idea what had been used to put those tiles there originally. I hope the length of time i mentioned provides some clue as to my next move. Many thanks for your time.
Cataloguekid. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough, cement was the 1st thing I thought it was when the 1st tiles came off(eventually, and that was using an electric tile remover, after using hammer and chisel to no avail.)im still convinced it is, but thought what do i know, i wasnt aware cement is used,ive always like most folk(i think) believed tiling is done on plaster. Sorry for sounding so dumb. But like i said my knowledge is limited. Cheers. cataloguekid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back