plastering old bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have gutted our bathroom in prep for a new suite.

when we took out the bath, we found the wall was not plastered below the line of the bath - doesnt look like it ever gas been!!!

i removed the old bathroom tiles off the rest of the wall and underneath there were old white tiles on top of the plaster.

the tiles are still covered in lots of the tile adhesive. I started to remove the bottom few tiles and ended up pulling off all the plaster right down to the brick work, with some areas better than others.

would it be alright to plaster up to where these tiles start, from the floor up, and then just skin over the tiles as they are still covered in adhesive and grout which should give the plaster something to 'key' to.

would this work or would i need to strip the wall completely back to the brick work and start from scratch??

many thanks

george

Sponsored Links
I am not a believer at all in plastering over old tiles, but others on here have done it..... You might get opinions/advice on the subject from them.......For me though,, it would be to take them all off,, and if it took the plaster with them, so be it. That would be a fine opportunity to get the wall replastered as new, from top to bottom.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back