Hardwall vs sand/cement on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built a new extension, about 80m2, lots of wall to cover.

Most of the trades who've come to see about skimming it, have said they would use Hardwall as a base, and not sand/cement. (We don't want to d+d plasterboard, don't like it)

I have a feeling the Hardwall is going to cost more, but are we going to save on mixing time and laying it on time, or anything else?

Also someone suggested they pump a base coat onto the walls, smooth it off, then skim.

What are the thoughts of the pro's please?

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Insulated plasterboard otherwise you’re wasting your money on an extension that’s gonna lose lots of heat.

Insulated plasterboard otherwise you’re wasting your money on an extension that’s gonna lose lots of heat.

The walls are to be externally insulated, to regs. So the whole house will act like a storage heater, which I like.

I have been out of the trade for over 20 years, and I am now retired, I had a spell as an instructor for the training enterprise council in the early 90s and I found a desk job before I wore out too much, so I am not up to speed on any new products.
The best finishes on walls are sand and cement rendered walls with a plasticiser added, when done correctly they are not only have the best finish they are also more durable plus the materials are cheaper, your plasterer would probably prefer to use hard wall as it is lighter to use whereas sand and cement is heavier , but IMHO you get the best finish from skimmed sand and cement render.
=
edit
"I have a feeling the Hardwall is going to cost more, but are we going to save on mixing time and laying it on time, or anything else?"
=
you still have to mix the hardwall and rendering the wall should be the same as sand and cement, using any wet mix to render a wall uses pretty much the same labour time

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have been out of the trade for over 20 years, and I am now retired, I had a spell as an instructor for the training enterprise council in the early 90s and I found a desk job before I wore out too much, so I am not up to speed on any new products.
The best finishes on walls are sand and cement rendered walls with a plasticiser added, when done correctly they are not only have the best finish they are also more durable plus the materials are cheaper, your plasterer would probably prefer to use hard wall as it is lighter to use whereas sand and cement is heavier , but IMHO you get the best finish from skimmed sand and cement render.
=
edit
"I have a feeling the Hardwall is going to cost more, but are we going to save on mixing time and laying it on time, or anything else?"
=
you still have to mix the hardwall and rendering the wall should be the same as sand and cement, using any wet mix to render a wall uses pretty much the same labour time

Thanks for the insight.... I hadn't considered the quality of finish being different, but I did expect sand and cement would be a cheaper product(s). Ill have a chat with the preferred people, when I get them!

It it thermalite blocks? Needs dot and dab really. Cracks to hell otherwise. Trying to tart up job with same problem today. It's why blocks should have softer than blocks sand and cement joints

It it thermalite blocks? Needs dot and dab really. Cracks to hell otherwise. Trying to tart up job with same problem today. It's why blocks should have softer than blocks sand and cement joints

No not Thermalite... medium dense standard concrete blocks on flat.

I don't apply much backing plasters. Not my thing and avoid if I can. However. My opinion is.
I don't think anyone is better. Hardwall will have more give if it moves but my own 1960s house is good with sand and cement over blocks.
Your paying. Find tradesmen that gives you what you want but Hardwall is good product. I used on 2 walls at home although I dot and dabbed kitchen. Had my time again I'd use insulated board in kitchen with a mix of foam and polymer mastic and a few mechanical fixings. It's all about insulation now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back