patching blown plaster with thistle hardwall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just wondering if any of the more experienced out there know if its ok to repair blown patches of original sand / cement under coat plaster with thistle hardwall?
I need to repair several large patches which will be taken back to bare brick before skimming the whole walls. Not sure if this will just crack at the join?
Hoping to save a little time and effort by not having to hand mix up loads of sand / cement under coat (plus a friend has some spare bags of thistle hardwall going free!)
Obviously this will be a massive false economy if it all cracks after skimming! so any advise before i start will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You could use either but I tend to use Bonding when repairing/patching old walls but low suction backgrounds must be well PVA'd or it will crack & craze; build out to the surrounding area in 2 hits rather than one. The skim shouldn’t crack where the 2 meet but I always put some reinforcing tape over the joins just to give it some additional strength. If the Hardwall is free, make sure it’s well “in date” & been well stored or it’ll go off very quickly, damp can be a nightmare this time of year & plaster is so cheap, personally, I never risk it!

If there are any deep seated cracks in the blocks or mortar joints underneath, repair & reinforce these first or the cracks will just reappear on the finished wall. In this case I usually use a render base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back