Hardwood Skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm having a new wood floor fitted ( quick step ) as we don't like there skirting system were thinking of having oak skirting that we hope to stain to same colour of floor . Is it possible to glue the skirting on to save showing screw hole fillings , all walls are timber & boarded to the floor just wondering if they would move with the heat in the living room .I've seen joiners using nail gun with fine wire nails would that help . thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You just need to ensure that you have some way to hold the skirting in place without it moving whilst the foam sets (e.g. a 2 x 1 path sprung in across the room with a pad at the end to prevent marking).

Those "fine wire nails" you mention are either 16 gauge or (smaller) 18 gauge collated brad nails and only hold the skirting in place whilst the grip adhesive that has been applied to the back sets. It's the adhesive which does all the work.

On jobs where appearance is critical but the client has specifically instructed that we are not to drill, screw and pellet we often use 18 gauge brad nails and grip adhesive, do any required finishing work then fill any holes afterwards with coloured wax and buff off at the end. This is because in our environment "go bars" across the floor are a trip risk and can be downright dangerous to navigate.

BTW for hardwood pinning in this way you'll need a pneumatic nailer (even cheapos work well), or a gas nailer, or a heavy air over battery nailer (e.g. Hikoki, etc) to fully sink the brad's beneath the surface of hardwood - cheap DIY nailers simply won't hack it (they aren't powerful enough to fully sink the nail heads although for that matter even my DW 2nd fix cordless nailers sometimes won't - the Hikokis which have replaced them are much better)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys I was thinking those wire nails went into the studding may be not ,is it fast setting foam and do you mean a piece of wood which is pressed against the skirting with a 3x2 at 90% but not sure at the moment how to anchor it as the new floor will be in place , I get what your saying about the pad I'll sort it out . Many thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back