Has Anyone Installed A Baxi Ecogen?

Building new housing estates with mCHP units in each home reduces the need to uprate the electricity infrastructure, as each home is a mini-power station, raising the total electricity energy efficiency sharply.

These boilers would be of no use in a modern highly insulated house as the bloody thing will hardly ever be on.

That is another reason why HMG went cold on them. 10 years ago the insulation regs were nowhere like they are today and what they will be in 2013.

Fuel cell technology is the way forward, mCHP units are of no use in most domestic applications, however, there will always be gullable individuals who will swallow Baxi's gumf.

There is a place for them. Fuel Cells? I have heard that for 15 years. We are still nowhere near in cars, which is the prime impetus in fuel cells. Fuel Cells currently have a short life. There are NG fired fuel cells, but HMG is going cold on NG to nuclear powered electricity. So don't expect anything new in Fuel Cells soon in domestic heating. And don't expect electricity to be 1 to 1 in NG in Kw costs soon either.

Sponsored Links

Thanks v much. A Fuel Cell. It will keep me interested for a while. Still no info on the lifespan of the fuel cell units. I still think they are better heating a thermal store and storing the heat. To me the idea is to keep the expensive electricity cost down as much as possible. A thermal store and control system can do that.

I just had a skim of the demo. Interesting indeed. It reacts to the homes demand in real time. This is the key. They now need a high flow combi version - or do they have one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back