Has cavity wall insulation caused internal cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had cavity wall insulation done about 6 months ago. They did take note of a couple of cracks in my hall ceiling at the time & inform me before they started. since then I have noticed cracks in most rooms of the house which werent there before. All internal & no sign of any outside (yet!) Has the insulation meant the house is drier internally & caused shrinkage or is there something I should worry about? the house was built post war. Thanks Shirley :confused:

Sponsored Links
presumably the insulation was blown fibreglass wool, not injected plastic foam?

it is very unlikely to have caused cracking. Take some photos of the walls and show us, it might be possible to identify what sort of cracks they are. If you can put a tiny pencil mark at the end of each crack, you can take some more pics in a year's time and see if they have grown.

Without wishing to be unkind, when people start looking for cracks, they always find some they had not noticed before and think they must be new.

see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
it is very unlikely to have caused cracking. Take some photos of the walls and show us, it might be possible to identify what sort of cracks they are. If you can put a tiny pencil mark at the end of each crack, you can take some more pics in a year's time and see if they have grown.

Without wishing to be unkind, when people start looking for cracks, they always find some they had not noticed before and think they must be new.

see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539[/QUOTE]

As they seem to be long cracks rather than wide ones I will follow your good advice re marking discreetly. I'll let you know if the place collapses round my ears LOL
many thanks for your prompt advice. Shirley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back