Has my boiler's pressure sensor broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick question, as I can't really find the answer on Google or this forum.

My Glow Worm Flexicom 18sx comes up with the F9 pressure sensor fault when firing up unless the pressure when cool is 2.0 bar. It used to be fine starting up from 1.6 bar, but the fault kept coming back and increasing the pressure 'fixed it' each time. Now when hot it gets above 2.5 bar, so I took some water out and dropped the pressure to 1.9 bar when cold. Same problem. I've had to top it up to 2.0 bar and now it's working.

So I'm guessing a pressure sensor fault? It also sometimes sounds like there air noises in the boiler when trying to start - is that something that can happen?

Sponsored Links
They are very unreliable, and prone to constant failure if the system water is dirty

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
if an analogue gauge was not working due to a blocked bourdon tube then you would have no readings at all.
If its a digital sensor then they use strain gauge sensors which operate on resistance over a wire.

Please explain how "dirty water" comes into play here

It's a digital display, but I don't know what type of sensor. Water from 3 radiators was clear. I didn't bleed the other 4.

Sponsored Links
Glow worm pressure sensors have a “hole” in the part that sits in the system water, dirt can block the hole and give wrong readings.

It can trap water inside giving a false pressure reading, before you start with “that’s not the op’s problem “ you asked how dirty system water comes into play.

It's a digital display, but I don't know what type of sensor. Water from 3 radiators was clear. I didn't bleed the other 4.

In which case I can't understand how "dirty water" effects conduction of a current along a wire. So either the sensor is out of range and needs replacing or its giving you accurate readings.
You can always test the pressure in the circuit easy enough but you need to compare the cost of the simple gauge vs a new sensor.
The pressure is very high @ 2.5bar and keep increasing the pressure is not a good idea
As the resistance data is being used elsewhere in the circuit then I'd go with replacement option

th

Doesn't need to be totally blocked for it to give false/mis readings. OP needs to get someone in to get it checked, cleaned or replaced as required. They're not expensive so it's usually a replacement.

if an analogue gauge was not working due to a blocked bourdon tube then you would have no readings at all.
If its a digital sensor then they use strain gauge sensors which operate on resistance over a wire.

Please explain how "dirty water" comes into play here
you need to do more googling, you are miles out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back