Have I got a setup that'll give me the best broadband speed?

Heres another one that has become a little more common just recently with talktalk customers.

When there service gets upgraded from an up to 8 to an upto 20 the bandwidth increases significantly but the download speed is crippled.

Get talktalk to downgrade the service back to an upto 8 service and the bandwidth lowers but the download speed becomes better than it was originally and remains so even after the 10 day stabelisation period has expired.

Sponsored Links
Well my original question seems to have sparked a fair bit of comment!

Just for the record, once my broadband was connected I set it up with the router plugged into a filter in my bedroom and got about 13 mbps.

Today I have finally wired in my fancy filtered faceplate and dedicated unfiltered extension for the router and I'm getting about 15mbps.

I am replacing the wire from what comes to the house and goes to the The Master BT NTE5 Box (replacing box as well as all is very old)

The question is, what is the best wire to use?

The best wire will be that which an OpenReach engineer brings and installs.

The wire and the master socket are the property of BT or OpenReach and to interfere with them is a breach of the contract you signed.

Sponsored Links
I am with Sky and have not signed any contract. and it is two wires! Simples for an anyone with a brain let alone me! (I used to instal electrical components on boats / yachts including SSAS, GPS, AIS, VHF, Radar etc etc. Add to that they would all be networked to communicate to each other!!!)

So I ask again...... Apart from bell wire!, is there a proprietary brand of 2 core copper wire / size that is recommended for optimum performance?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back