Have I got the wrong bulb...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just bought some replacement reflector lamps for two broken spotlights in my hallway.

Put in new bulbs and they don't work. I'm convinced they're the right bulb...

Old bulb says:

Osram
R80
240v
60w
H9a8

New bulb says:

Crompton lamp
R80
240v
60w

Surely this bulb must be right? I'm slightly baffled.

The only differences are the manufacturer and the new one is a long life bulb.

Anyone shed any light (pun absolutely intended)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have other fittings that take the same lamp type? If so try them in a known working fitting. Doing these could rule out some assumptions!
You maybe unlucky that you have faulty lamps/bulbs or you could have a loose or damaged connection on the installation or faulty switch/fitting.

I don't mean to sound daft, but have you screwed to lamps in properly? Some of the new R80 lamps have a smaller contact on the bottom of the lamp compared to the old ones, and sometimes need screwing in a bit harder, or even the conacts in the lampholder bending up a bit (with the power isolated of course)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help.

Your instinct about them not being screwed in was correct - they are fully screwed in but they're being stopped from making a connection by the fitting. Checked the various manufacturers sites and the Osram
Bulb is 3mm longer.

Once the sun is up I'll try bending the connectors to make a connection. Failing that I'll have to buy new Osram bulbs!

Some of the lampholders do not make contact on the screw threads (if metal - obviously not if plastic/other) but have another small prong at the side coming from a rivet in the base.

These frequently break, leaving nothing to contact with the side/screw of the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back