Have you any experience of Homeguard Wallcoatings?

We changed our minds almost immediately assuming we had a 7-14 day get out.

Shame you gave them the deposit, I'm sure that a "cooling-off" period is mandatory now. Trading Standards is a very useful threat in theses circumstances.

Sponsored Links
Aside from the suggestion that there are other similar products available on the marketplace, noone seems to be commenting on the fact that the OP wanted to apply this to a barn.

Assuming this was of traditional construction, then applying a non-breathable coating like this (or even masonry paint) is a bad, bad idea. He should be applying a lime render and limewash

But its notclear on how it was constructed apart from stating the paint was to go over render..the walls might be cavity..

the walls might be cavity..

Agreed, but just wanted to highlight that for most traditional construction buildings (solid walls, lime pointing, possibly no DPC)....these types of coatings or even masonry paint are a seriously bad idea.

We had a damp problem in one of our barns...the previous owner had coated the clay lump/lime render in sandtex!! :cry: Having stripped all of this off...the damp has disappeared

Sponsored Links
Yep im with you now..

Lime render and a good few coats of lime/white wash mixed with tallow does the job, and allows the walls to breath externally

I had homeguard around yesterday, and stupidly paid £1000 deposit.

Once I had read here, I realised it was a rip off, got in touch with trading standards, sent them a recorded delivery letter, and cancelled the cheque.

According to trading standards, a 7 day cooling off period is the law.

No matter what homeguard say!!!

So glad I checked here first. Will get my local painters in!

Thanks everyone.

CJ114

Exactly the same thought went trough my mind..

Ididnt know it was meant to be self cleaning either...people i know that have had it told me the rep recommended a good pressure washing once in a while..

I was told it was self cleaning too.

Yeah right.

I can't believe I was nearly caught out. Before sending the letter and cancelling the check, I did try to contact the rep. He has not got back to me!!!

It may be best to report them. Trading standards are most interested in them.

As for the Lady who thinks they are cheap. Well my old house was massive, and our local painters did a great job for the whole House for £1,000. And believe me, it was a massive house. i.e Detached 5 bed, 4 reception, and 3 bath. Around 16 windows, 2 doors, 2 patio doors, plus sofets etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back