Having a bonfire in the middle of my lawn!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone a bit crazy this weekend with the cutting and pruning and now have a vast amount of branches to get rid of.

No way I will be able to get it all into the garden recycling bags, so I think I'll have to burn it.

My lawn is knackered and weed infested anyway so I dont mind killing a bit. But if i do this, how long will the grass take to grow back??

Sponsored Links
if you have nowhere for a bonfire consider an iron chimenea with a chimney. it is adequate for a small garden.

I use one to burn prunings. Small material can be stuffed in the belly, and branches can be poked down the chimney. It concentrates the heat and gives a good updraught so burns them faster and cleaner than a bonfire. You will need to keep stoking it, I stand by the heap cutting or stripping the branches and feeding them in as fast as I work.

I think the chimney of mine is about five inches dia; none of my prunings are that thick. If I have bits of tree, I cut them into short pieces and put them in the belly.

If you have a few paving stones or other protection the grass will not catch fire or be killed. I use a mortar spotboard tray with water in it.
When you have finished you can cook sausages and baked potatoes on the grill.

200 Liter steel drum with the roof cut off, might get you away? Just be careful of the fire itself, always have an extinguisher or even water at hand just in case.
If you're reseeding the lawn will be fine

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. That has assuaged my fears!

I do have an incinerator already (basically a metal bin with some holes in the sides) but it's much too small for what I have to burn now.

I'll just do the bonfire on the grass I think. I'm not worried about the grass catching light as its pretty green, but before I start I'll have the hose ready just in case.

Then I'll spread some mixed grass seed once it's all over.

Cut a circle of turf out first, have your fire and lay it back.

I did it when I was a kid and wanted a fire without my parents noticing. On that note... cut it bigger than you think or you'll end up with a scorched ring, also cut it quite deep as it makes it less likely to die. A brown circle framing slowly dying turfed grass is a bit of a giveaway.

Not ideal but better than direct on the grass.

We have a annual bonfire at our cricket ground, way from the cricket square obviously :).

The grass grows back before the start of the season but needs to attention, grass wont grow back on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back