Having to bleed rad frequently?

Thanks twgas,that sounds like it could be the problem.Have not had the chance today to do much about the problem with the overflow and rad because I was on hand to help a freind plaster but have noticed when heating is switched off the flow from overflow is definitely more.Once the heating is on the overflow pipe only has the slightest of drips coming from it.Could it be that when the heating is on, the the loss of water through steam coming out of the pipe on the roof is greater than the amount the valve is leaking into the tank, therefore the level in the f&e is slightly less when on = less of an overflow leak?I'm just guessing.

If the problem is caused by pump-over,what is the easiest and least expensive way of rectifying the problem,also is there an easy way to find out if it is pump-over for sure. Ta,

Trenchfoot.

Sponsored Links
Look at the open vent, the pipe that points down into the f&e tank, if it ejects water you have pumping over.
Very often the cure is to clean out the cold feed/open vent connection(s) into the system, however it may be a design/instalation fault eg. pipes connected in wrong place or pump wrong etc.

Will have a good look at that,not sure about the installation cock up or wrong pump.The system has been in the property for 3 - 4 years Im told.The problem only started recently so Im thinking it could be something that has just developed.Will check the pipe out in loft you mentioned and see if it is releasing water,either way I suppose there is still a problem with the ballcock not closing the hole on the valve.I have been in the property since mid summer and only just noticed this fault.

Appreciate the help.

Trenchfoot.

Fault has probably been there there a lot longer than you think, it's the symptoms you've only just noticed, which only become apparent after a period of time.

Sponsored Links
Ok will have a go at it tomorrow after work.Will try to sort the ballcock out and get a look at any water coming from the vent pipe.

Ta.

Trenchfoot.

Problem solved...I hope.

Believe it or not,the vent pipe over the f&e tank was under water even before the overflow level reached the overflow pipe.Had a bit fiddle with the ballcock and valve,took half a bucket of water out,sawed 2 inches off the vent pipe,fingers crossed ,thats it.The water in the f&e tank was warming up so much that the whole inside of the roof was full of condensation.Seems ok now,have'nt needed to bleed rad and overflow is not dripping anymore.

Thanks for all the help chaps,all the best.

trenchfoot. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back