Upstairs rads need constaint bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can any one shed light on my problem, I have replaced 8 of the 11 radiators in my victorian house ready for a new boiler next year (boiler working fine at the moment but old)
I have bled the radiators and all was fine for couple of weeks the I noticed a some of the upstaires rads are cold or warm I bled them again and have been bleeding them each night for a week a lot of air is released each time and I can hear the water and air in the rads.
I have no leaks but air must be entering the system somehow?

my boiler is 30 years old, but working fine, the expansion tank overflows sometimes I have no problem with hot water and the downstairs rads are very hot when the heating is on

Its driving me nuts bleeding the rads every night

Please Help!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :confused:

Sponsored Links
easy to test get a pint glass of water and put the end of the vent pipe into it if water gets sucked in then thats your problem have you changed the pump recently.

Sponsored Links
Bleed it with the heating OFF. as you can make the problem worse on some systems by bleeding it with the pump on

Thanks namsag,

I was taught to bleed with the heating on so the water pumps round,

I have bled the rads and no overflow from the expansion tank. i have put the heating back on and waiting to see what happends.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :) :)

I was taught to bleed with the heating on so the water pumps round
I would have thought that was the last thing you wanted!

If the water is being pumped round the circuit when you open the bleed valve you will get an almost instantaneous jet of water shooting out of the bleed valve and won't have the foggiest idea if there was any air in the rad or if it has all been removed.

If you bleed with the pump off (preferably with the water cold) and there is any air in the rad, there will be a delay between opening the bleed valve and the water slowly coming out. This makes it easier to know if there was any air in the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back