Rad advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my radiator sytem bled, an erroneous rad corrected and now it is full with clean water and anti-grunge liquid and has worked fine since. However after 3 weeks one of the radiators upstairs needed bleeding. It took about 5 seconds for all of the air to come out ..............
1) how often do rads needing bleeding on average
2) what would happen if I was away for a while and the whole radiator clogged up with air ........ would the air go down the pipes and cause the next rad to fill with air
3) how do I find the cause of air getting into the system.

Sponsored Links
phil1963 said:
I have just had my radiator sytem bled, an erroneous rad corrected and now it is full with clean water and anti-grunge liquid and has worked fine since.
Since when, exactly?

However after 3 weeks one of the radiators upstairs needed bleeding. It took about 5 seconds for all of the air to come out ..............
1) how often do rads needing bleeding on average
On a clean system, almost never. Annually would be acceptable.

2) what would happen if I was away for a while and the whole radiator clogged up with air
If the system is protected then this is unlikely to happen, unless you go away for about 18 years. :confused:

........ would the air go down the pipes and cause the next rad to fill with air
No.

3) how do I find the cause of air getting into the system.
Bit of a perennial problem is this - it's usually best to eliminate the things that might cause it, first, then move on to a search for a leak if all else fails.

Please describe the history of maintenance to the system - when it was last cleaned out, when inhibitor was added, when any pipework was changed, when the boiler was installed, etc.

If a rad has recently been changed there could have still been some air in the system from when this procedure was carried out.

I would expect a bit of air to accumulate somewhere after 3 weeks. The new water in the system will always contain some dissolved gases which will be driven out of solution slowly. If all is well, the next time a rad needs bleeding will be a bit longer, say, a couple of months, then six months etc. etc.

Sponsored Links
The system was flushed out and replaced with nice water 3 weeks ago. I works okay except for this one heater which has "aired up" quickly - hence my concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back