HDMI Touchscreen over CAT6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently on a little project and need to have a touch screen monitor linked to a laptop around 20m(ish) away. No problem with the display going through CAT6 to HDMI at the other end, however, for the touch screen function to work it requires the USB too. My current extenders don't support this as only support KVM so will only work with Keyboard / Mouse and not anything USB 2.0. So, my question is, do any of you know of any extenders that will support this or will I require a second CAT6 cable and a separate USB extender?

Sponsored Links
Some of our posh AV installs at work have boxes that can do this but pro-av doesn't tend to be cheap, finding a different way to use a second cable is going to be less eye wateringly expensive for sure

I believe this unit incorporates a USB extender:

(Datasheet attached)

I haven't played with this, but have bought plenty of Startech products from CPC.

However, we would usually mount a NUC, or RPi to the back of the display in situations like this.

...I've also used an RPi as a USB over IP adapter, very useful if you are interested in astronomy, but like to stay warm! :)

Attachments

• 2017727.pdf
    201.3 KB · Views: 101
That StarTech Extender looks perfect! I couldn't find anything with a USB Hub before, obviously I was searching for the wrong thing! Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I believe this unit incorporates a USB extender:

(Datasheet attached)

I haven't played with this, but have bought plenty of Startech products from CPC.

However, we would usually mount a NUC, or RPi to the back of the display in situations like this.

...I've also used an RPi as a USB over IP adapter, very useful if you are interested in astronomy, but like to stay warm! :)
so a £350 product or a £35 product, whichever is handy lol

so a £350 product or a £35 product, whichever is handy lol
Are you talking about the difference in price between the NUC and the RPi?

Then it's a case of what I'm allowed to connect to our corporate network.
Due to our regulations, I can't connect an RPi, when I can connect a NUC.

For a non-networked machine, or on a network I control, I would go for the RPi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back