header tank and toilet both in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya,

i'm planning a bungalow renovation where we intend to install an upstairs toilet.

i am hoping to feed this toilet cistern from a raised cold water header tank also located upstairs.

do you guys have any advise on doing this?

some particular queries i had are -
1) how high would the header tank need to be above the toilet cistern?
2) would any particular cisterns or cistern fill valves be better?
3) would a side or bottom entry fill valve be better (or make any difference)?

thanks for your help,

crol

Sponsored Links
The traditional Delchem cistern valve works the best with low pressure, I've found......Screwfix 88427 or 52836 with a 41/2" float, 76297.
Get the header tank as high as you can (completely above the loo cistern) and keep the pipe work as short as you can.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Are you catching rain water to be used for flushing the loo ? If so how are you going to fill the header tank ? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but i've had a few Hic !!!

thanks for the tips.

rainwater will be collected in an underground tank and pumped up to this header tank which will also have a mechanical mains top up valve in case no rainwater is available.

crol

The traditional Delchem cistern valve works the best with low pressure, I've found......Screwfix 88427 or 52836 with a 41/2" float, 76297.
Get the header tank as high as you can (completely above the loo cistern) and keep the pipe work as short as you can.

thanks for your help john.

do those valves come with a low pressure flow restrictor?

also, would a side or bottom entry fill valve be better (or make any difference)?

crol

It doesn't really matter which valve you use, just keep the bends etc to a minimum. The valve could well come with a push in flow restrictor (spiral plastic thing) but you won't need that.
An in line filter could be an idea though as any valve doesn't appreciate any particles of grit etc.
Enjoy your project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back