Toilet valve fitment query????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a leak inside the toilet pan, and noticed that the toilet valve gasket was falling apart. The existing toilet valve appears to be a Siamp Storm, so I ordered a new Siamp Optima 49 (dual flush). As the valve comes with a bayonet fix, I attempted to just connect the new valve to the existing bayonet fitment, but was then unable to remove the new valve after temporary fitting. After attempting to unscrew the valve, the entire fitment removed.

I wondered why there was no nut on the bottom of the toilet valve (hence the fitment unscrewed), but have noticed that there is a screw thread manufactured directly into the cistern, so presume there is no requirement for the nut under the cistern as the valve screws directly into the cistern?

I would be grateful if someone can advise if this type of cistern design will not require the valve nut under the cistern as the builtin screw thread on the cistern should be sufficient?

For info, after accidentally removing the entire toilet valve, I cleaned up the cistern screw thread (old plumbers mait was in the cistern and old valve thread) and screwed in the new toilet valve. All appears to be okay, and there are no longer any leaks into the toilet pan. However, I just want to double check if there should also be a nut on the bottom of the toilet valve also?

Sorry for the long query...

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Yes, there should be a nut under the cistern, might be tightly held with donut washer between pan and cistern.

If there is no leak from between pan and cistern either when flush or left for long, you are lucky.

The normal way is remove cistern from pan and you see the black donut washer and back nut, unscrew that to remove flushing valve and, some toilets, a close coupler plate.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel, appreciate the reply.

From pics and YouTube videos I have seen, it appears the nut is underneath as the valve just slots through and needs securing to be watertight. However the cistern I have actually has the screw thread manufactured into it, so the toilet valve is screwing directly into the cistern. Do you think this May be the reason why no nut has been used, as potentially it doesn't need one as screws directly into the cistern?

Thanks,

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back