Header Tank/Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating/Hot water is getting very hot and is purging back through the header tank (As I believe it should if the pressure due to exspantion)
My question is that one of the thermostats can't be working properly?????.....but how can I check to see what one it is?...Ie hot water cylinder,Room,boiler...Its a glow worm and that's all i know for now.......The sound that it makes is all from the cylinder up to the header tank?......You can tell I am not a plumber5 by my Terminology......This is my 1St post and would love someone to possibly give me some advice as what to check or do next?.....Many Thanks in advance...Gary

Sponsored Links
I have turned down the pump to Speed 2 and I have checked the cylinder thermostat and I have given the adjuster a bit of a wiggle...By that i mean...I have a thermostatic valve like the one you have on a radiator which is by the Hot Water cylinder?....this is what i have moved (Just in case it was stuck? i have also given it a love tap...a little series of taps just for good measure to see if it frees off any stuck valve within the thermostat....not knowing a lot about heating why would my boiler get hotter than normal? is it circulating the hot water through the boiler and through the hot water system?....and when the valve opens for the heating the rads get piping hot as well ....this all makes sense...all because of a hot water thermostat?....Gary

Sponsored Links
checked the cylinder thermostat and I have given the adjuster a bit of a wiggle...By that i mean...I have a thermostatic valve like the one you have on a radiator which is by the Hot Water cylinder
you possibly have a Drayton Tapstat. It it attached to a large copper pipe, and does it have a thin flexible cable (it is actually a tiny pipe) which goes to a bulb strapped to the side of the cylinder? Where is this bulb, and is it inside the cylinder insulation? Is the flexible thin pipe damaeged or kinked? Is your heating system quite old?
http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/TapstatCylinderControls.aspx

Or is it a very big brass valve with a blue plastic cap over the spindle?
http://www.uk-plumbing.com/drayton-...7.html?zenid=867c9e06fa3025e4657a135bc309388c

if not that, please post a photo.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

It's a Tapstat controlling the cylinder temp from the description and therefore no boiler interlock. Could be several things wrong and I'm not going to guess, but advise you to get a repair call booked in asap.

Agree with 45

you may have several different faults, but the boiler should not be getting that hot, and needs professional attention.

(would still be interested to know about the valve by the cylinder, though. If there is an easy route for a cable between boiler and cylinder, there may be a better way to do it.)

A plumber is going to come out to me tomorrow...I will let you all know how I got on....Kind regards to those that advised

Just to keep you all posted, Plumber came today and from a cold start checked the heating and water system out....The conclusion was as a lot of you have already said.....IT WAS..... the Boiler Thermostat this has been replaced at a very reasonable cost £30.00 for the part and an hours labour which included time and travel to source the part and fit/check it.....Happy days......Many thanks to all.......Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back