HEADER TANK ON COMBI.........!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, I hope someone can help me.

My grandmother lives on her own and is having problems topping up her condensing combi due to her artharitis. I have looked at the manual for her boiler which is a Vokera Syntesi 25e and it mentions installing a header tank which has to be 5 meters above the boiler and connected to the return leg on the sealed system. My question is, there is a small loft above the boiler with a 114 litre header tank off the old system which is only 2 meters above the boiler, could I use this due to the increased amount of water to get round having to install one in the main loft as this would be a nightmare. Also can I tap into the return leg anywhere on the system or does it have to be right next to the boiler. I ask this as the return leg for the upstairs runs through the small loft right next to the header tank. I am not a plumber but am able to carry out this type of work and this would save my grandmother money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards

Steven

Sponsored Links
no, you would have to install a sepoerate header due to possibility if cross contamination. why not replace the current filling loop with one with easier handles to turn? and the system really shound only need topping up evry year or so, so popp in and check iot for her :D

what do you mean cross contamination? this is an unused header tank from the original boiler. Problem with replacing the filler loop is that she is not very confident and I work away a lot (forces) Thought this would be a easy solution that would take it off her mind as she worries a lot.

Reagards

Steven

sorry.. misread what you wrote... if its not in use for anything else then i guess it would be ok, but most people seem to want rid of extra tanks.

has her system got an issue with losing pressure then?

Sponsored Links
I think Altecnic do an automatic filling loop using a PRV and an NRV.

Don't think it is approved in the UK but who will know.

Hi, thanks for the response. Yes the system loses pressure but there is no sign of a leak, no water from the blow off valve etc. This Altecnic auto fill valve that you mention, are they any good? whats a NRV & PRV? All of the downstairs pipes are inaccessable due to a floating floor then laminate on top. Where can I get Altecnic products from?

Steven

It is NOT approved for us in the UK but...

You can do the same thing by using a pressure reducing valve supplied from the water supply via a double non return valve.

However, if the boiler does not have a pressure relief valve then a 3.5 bar pressure relief valve should be fitted to the heating system with the discharge taken to a safe point outside.

None of this is approved but it does work and MIGHT give a solution to your problem.

Tony

So let me get this right. If I insert a 15 mm T piece into the mains supply then connect a pressure reducing valve (from screwfix) to it then connect a double check valve and then connect it to the 22mm feed pipe using a 15mm to 22mm adaptor and T piece and inserting a isolation valve this would act as a automatic filling loop...??

Steven

No!

The double check valve needs to be on the mains water side!

Tony

OK, so in this order, mains supply, cut and insert T piece, then an isolation valve, then the double check valve with the arrow in the direction of the flow of water, then the pressure reduction valve set at about 1.5 bar, then a 15mm to 22mm adaptor then cut the flow pipe for the sealed system and insert a T piece and thats it. I can then turn the isolation valve on and leave it on and the system will automaticaly fill itself and remain at 1.5bar.

Regards

Steven

Sounds a good idea, but if the system is regularly taking on fresh water you will be back desludging the whole system within a year, by which time you will have wrecked a perfectly good boiler, plus cost your gran a whole shed load of money

OK, so in this order, mains supply, cut and insert T piece, then an isolation valve, then the double check valve with the arrow in the direction of the flow of water, then the pressure reduction valve set at about 1.5 bar,

Regards

Steven

NO !

The double check valve must be BEFORE the isolator valve !

That means the FIRST thing at the connection to the mains water!

Tony

Thanks for the response.

Why would regular filling cause sludge in the boiler and system ?

Which product from Mikrofill ?

What about the Altecnic automatic filling loop, would this not be easier. does this have to be T'd off from the mains aswell.

Does anyone have any idea how to find a leak without lifting the whole floor including removing the kitchen, skirting boards, and emptying the whole of the downstairs.

Steven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back