header tank - waste exit pipe leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a problem with my hot water header tank and heating expansion tank in that they leak a lot of water out of the waste exit pipes. They always appear to be dripping ever since we moved into the house about a month ago. Normally this would be a big deal but I am wanting to build a patio near to them and don’t want to get splashed! They drip even when the heating or hot water isn’t on, and it doesn’t seem any worse/better when they are.

From what I have worked out we have an indirect heating system (see picture – we have exit pipes from, each tank), am I was wondering if the pipes should be constantly dripping as much as they are and if there is anything I can do to stop/slow them down? Pic of pipes attached.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
May be leaking ball valves!

Or wrongly adjusted valves!

You need to get a plumber!

Or get off your computer and look in the loft.

A photo of each tank taken when no water has been used for an hour would probably indicate what the problem is.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

I took a look at the heating tank and took a photo (nice and clean :))

I've also noticed that the water leaks during the night - all night in fact. And not a lot in the day (especially when its been warm). Could it be that it evaporates and keeps the water level lower during the day?

Any ideas on how to stop this leaking so much? Is there a way to adjust the ballcock so it is lower and so the water doesnt reach the exit pipe (circled in the pic).

many thanks

you can adjust the level by moving the float down by loosening the screw that locks the float in position, or by gently bending the arm down but beware if you try that some cheapo brass ones snap!!!

Sponsored Links
buy a new valve and bend it down when you put the new one in.

Thanks guys will try and lower the float.

A power flush? Do these symptoms seem like something that could sort? I thought they were for clearing sludge etc. Or do you mean by the state of our tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back