Header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My header tank is not refilling, the ball valve which goes up and down is currently up, but there is not water in the tank !!!

Have just spent a small fortune on a plumber to fi the lack of hot water and now this.

Please help

Sponsored Links
will try this tomorrow- as am not in the property right now.. what should i do to stop the valve catching it that is the problem?

also have tried pushing the ball down, and the water does start to fill the tank, but when i let go, the ball goes back up and the tank stops filling.

Will update on how things go

Sponsored Links
when i let go, the ball goes back up and the tank stops filling.
Well, that's a new one on me. Something very weird going on there! Is it a normal float valve (as if you would know!)? I wonder if it's an old equilibrium float valve gone berserk? Any chance of posting a pic of it?

Maybe the float arm is very badly adjusted so that the float is lifted by the residual water in the bottom of the tank - can you check this? Or does the float really lift up without contact with water?

This is weird. Well perhaps some poor old plumber has left a bungee attached to it from a previous drain down!! Hands up who hasn't. :)

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

don't know if it's normal, but i do know it's brand new
it has been working fine for about a week (since the plimber was last there) and then today started giving trouble..

My tenants have told my that the arm of the float is as if the tank would have water in it, don't think there is any water for it to touch

gasmarkone said:
This is weird. Well perhaps some poor old plumber has left a bungee attached to it from a previous drain down!! Hands up who hasn't. :)

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

bungee?

Yeah bungee, you know, stretchy things that us bikers always used to keep the missus on the back [of bike!]. And I use em for drain downs.So.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

about a week since the plimber was last there
In that case call the guy back. He's not left the thing in proper working order. He'll probably be happy to get his bungee back too!

i'm calling him back tomorrow morning first (this will be visit number 5!!) I'll mention the bungee word, so he thinks i know what i'm talking about.

With any luck it'll be working soon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back