Headlights oxidising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My headlights were turning yellow, saw many vids showing how to resolve it, the only one which involves 5mins per headlight and resolved it was Armour All Headlights restorer.

All others required buffing and using a drill with more elbow greasefor 2 hours, but for 10 mins , you cant go wrong, will see how long it lasts.

Sponsored Links
My headlights were turning yellow, saw many vids showing how to resolve it, the only one which involves 5mins per headlight and resolved it was Armour All Headlights restorer.

All others required buffing and using a drill with more elbow greasefor 2 hours, but for 10 mins , you cant go wrong, will see how long it lasts.

Not long, in my experience. The quick fixes just fill in the marks, as would happen when you wet the lens. A proper abrasive system removes the scratches, then the soft plastic needs protection from oxidation.

The dullness happens, when the surface protection is lost, worn away or etc., after which the oxidation of the surface begins. Not perfect, but I have had some success polishing up, then spraying with the aerosols used as clear cote spray for painted car bodies.

The final wipe is a UV one which applies protection, even if it last for 6 months then its worth it.

I used Mcguires plastic headlight restoration kit, the type with the buffer for in a drill and several wet & dry pads.
Yes it took me approx 1/.2-1 hour per headlight, however the result was brilliant and lasted until the car was disposed of a few years later.

I cannot see a simple wipe on/off product being as long lasting.

Sponsored Links
WD40 looks good, until it rains ;)
Toothpaste is a waste of time/paste.

Had my old BM done last year by a friend of mine who has a body-shop, still good today.
When I asked him what he used he just tapped the side of his nose, so I'm none the wiser.

Toothpaste is a waste of time/paste.

I can confirm it does work, though it takes a lot of effort. It is a very fine abrasive polish, so best used as the last one, after the more aggressive ones. Then the lens will need some spray on protection film to make it last...

Had my old BM done last year by a friend of mine who has a body-shop, still good today.
When I asked him what he used he just tapped the side of his nose, so I'm none the wiser.

If it has lasted a year, then your friend knows what to spray on to prevent the oxidation. After polishing up, unless protected, they begin to become opaque within just a few weeks due to UV. Try twisting his arm for the secret.

I can confirm it does work, though it takes a lot of effort. It is a very fine abrasive polish, so best used as the last one, after the more aggressive ones. Then the lens will need some spray on protection film to make it last...

If it has lasted a year, then your friend knows what to spray on to prevent the oxidation. After polishing up, unless protected, they begin to become opaque within just a few weeks due to UV. Try twisting his arm for the secret.
Just a thought; years ago when we had proper headlights, rather than lamp clusters covered with poly-whatsit, there was never any need for all this faffing about :rolleyes:
Showing my age again !

Just a thought; years ago when we had proper headlights, rather than lamp clusters covered with poly-whatsit, there was never any need for all this faffing about :rolleyes:
Showing my age again !

Then headlights were just a simple round glass, one size fits all. Now the headlamp is part of the styling and different for every model. Polycarbonate - very strong as regards impact, but hopeless under UV.

Get some E-Tech Headlight clear coat. You don't even need to get much of a gloss on the headlight before you spray it on because it dries glossy anyway. Even normal clear lacquer is pretty good at stopping it oxidizing again though

Then headlights were just a simple round glass, one size fits all. Now the headlamp is part of the styling and different for every model. Polycarbonate - very strong as regards impact, but hopeless under UV.
Simple round glass is my style, does what it says on the tin ;)

Brasso is supposed to work but as suggested once done it needs clear coating.
The meguiars kit is very good but offers no protection afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Back