Headphones?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was very annoyed that the stupid headphones on my 11 hour flights ast month did not attenuate the noise of the 777 in flight.

I was looking at several headphones in maplins at about £10-£20. Does anyone know if there is somewhere a list of the actual attenuation of external sounds? One at about £29 had a noise cancelling system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I used to be a dj so would recommend Sennheiser every time, but really anything which covers your ears would be a vast improvement on the cr**py things they give out on a plane. Just remember to get a converter from 1/4" jack!

I have moved on a bit because I bought a pair of new phones in the market last week. They are one of the cheap Pro xxx names but they do attenuate sounds quite well but of course without actual measurement figures on the phones or even the noise level in the 777 cabin I will not know how good they will be for the purpose. Once on board its too late!

Final questions

Does anyone know the connections to the Boeing headset plugs?

Does anyone know the noise level in a 777 ?

Does anyone know where there is any listing of the attenuation of all the different makes?

Does anyone know of any other forum where there are headphone experts?

G3OSS died a couple of years ago!

Tony

last time I was in a 777 it was normal minijacks.

£10 to £20 for headphones is too cheap. Proper noise cancelling ones - Sennheiser, Bose et al come in around £100 and upwards.

If not noise cancelling then def. use closed cans which enclose the ears totally or the in ear ones with custom fitted ear plugs.

Sponsored Links
The stupid headset they provide used a joined paid of minijacks. One is three connection and the other two connection!

Does anyone know what the actual connections are?

Tony

Thats an interesting couple of links but it only adds to the confusion!

The KLM that I travelled on recently had two jacks, one three ring and the other two ring.

One would expect the three would be keft and right and the two pin for power for the noise cancellation circuit.

However, the very cheap phones supplied had a double plug which would not have been needed unless it was just a way to get the user to plug it in the right way round.

EDIT

I have now found the cheap phones! The two body connections are joined in the plug and the two tips are each left and right!

The ring on the three pin is not connected to anything.

Thats a real pain because I have to make a converter using the existing plug and a three pole socket so that I can use my own phones that I have bought.

Now the next problem is the impedance!

The resistance of the cheap plane phones is about 270 ohms per ear!

I could understand that the plane may well use a higher impedance than standard headphones so it may well be that my new ones are not compatible.

Any ideas?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back