Headphones.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
As I am ever so old and my hearing is not as it was, I have been using headphones to listen to programmes and films containing continual loud music and whispering mumbling actors (seems to be the fashion).

This meant a cable from the TV so I bought some wireless headphones. Unfortunately they are very 'bassy' and little better than the TV.

The wired headphones are not like this so I thought I might swap the speakers. They are the same size and look the same, but the old ones are 16Ω and the new are 32Ω.

Would this matter or would they end up sounding the same?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are the new speakers in some way better quality? Higher resistance will not do any harm.

There are a few really good soundbars available. And quite a lot of bad ones. Would it be impertinent to ask your budget?

I have my TV wired through a Hifi amp and speakers, which are much better than any TV (mine is actually a 5-way surroundsound, but any good stereo will be better than the TV). If yours gives good clear sound on FM radio or CDs, the sound on TV major channels will be nearly as good.

Are the new speakers in some way better quality?
I presume so - the old ones are just for speech really I think. They have a detachable microphone.

Higher resistance will not do any harm.
That was my main query, thanks, but will the old speakers in new headphones make any difference or is it down to the electronics of the new ones? That is - will they sound the same?

There are a few really good soundbars available. And quite a lot of bad ones. Would it be impertinent to ask your budget?
I had thought of a sound bar.
The budget is not a problem as such but I have never been one for buying expensive things - and the old phones are alright apart from the cable.

I have my TV wired through a Hifi amp and speakers, which are much better than any TV (mine is actually a 5-way surroundsound, but any good stereo will be better than the TV). If yours gives good clear sound on FM radio or CDs, the sound on TV major channels will be nearly as good.
Ok.

will they sound the same?

they will sound better if they are better.

the spec will probably say what their frequency response is. Poor quality equipment often has a range worse than the human ear; good quality usually exceeds it.

I don't remember how to read a speaker spec any more, I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
It's just dawned on me that I don't think the TV equaliser affects the wireless speakers which are connected to the RCA sockets whereas the old headphones are just in the jack plug.

Perhaps some reconfiguration might help.

Thanks.

On top of the differences in the headphones, what you might be hearing too is the difference the RCA stereo phono out (better quality) versus the headphone jack (lower quality) as used with the old phones. That, and the effect of the graphic equalizer.

Have you thought about using a headphone jack to stereo RCA cable for the new wireless headphones?

Something like this (LINK) could be just the job and allow you to use the audio EQ features on the TV.

On top of the differences in the headphones, what you might be hearing too is the difference the RCA stereo phono out (better quality) versus the headphone jack (lower quality) as used with the old phones. That, and the effect of the graphic equalizer.
Yes, it was only while trying various things I realised the equaliser had no effect on the wireless phones using the RCA sockets.

Have you thought about using a headphone jack to stereo RCA cable for the new wireless headphones?
I will use that when watching Netflix, which seems to be worst. There are a lot of similar complaints on the net.

Something like this (LINK) could be just the job and allow you to use the audio EQ features on the TV.
The wireless phones have a jack lead which I had connected to RCA with the reverse connector.
They also have an optical socket but that doesn't work with my TV's optical.

I will try for a couple of nights and let you know.

Thanks.

As I am ever so old and my hearing is not as it was, I have been using headphones to listen to programmes and films containing continual loud music and whispering mumbling actors (seems to be the fashion).
I found this too. I remember reading that it’s the norm because of the physical depth of speakers they can fit into a slimline tv. I have to either use an old Bose iPhone dock or I have some Bose noise cancelling wireless earphones. Speech is much clearer using them without being any louder. If I can’t be bothered to get them out, I just have the subtitles on. I’d like a sound bar but the wife won't have it - she thinks I’ll go for the full cinema experience! :cry:

Sennheiser are very good but pricey.
Will have a look. Thanks.

Do you have hearing aids?
No. Just what I think is normal for age - higher frequencies are no longer audible and need things a bit louder.

However, the fact remains that the old headphones are fine so what is different and is it supposed to be like that?
Perhaps the wireless phones aren't very good or the old ones aren't very good depending on what you want.

I didn't think of these things until after I asked the question.

Last night I used the wireless phones in non-wireless mode, for direct comparison, using the same jack lead as the old ones and the differences are still the same.

Old ones - fine.
New ones - everything, even speech on its own, is very bassy and reverberating. Any music or background noise drowns out the speech. This is not a volume problem, although I might need it louder than a youngster.

I think I will swap the speakers just to see what happens. In effect make the old ones wireless. If they then end up the same, well...

I'm puzzled as to why the balance of music over speech has shifted. You wouldn't think that was possible once the audio has been edited and broadcast.

Does it make any difference to the bassy speech if you up the treble or adjust the equaliser? If you can find a way, that is!

Ok. Thanks Mot, will look at noise cancelling ones if my transplanting does not work.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled as to why the balance of music over speech has shifted. You wouldn't think that was possible once the audio has been edited and broadcast.
As I said, there are a lot of similar complaints about Netflix and some BBC programmes.

Netflix's reasons were that their programmes are made for home cinema mode and this does not work well on television speakers.
That, though, does not explain the difference between my phones.

Does it make any difference to the bassy speech if you up the treble or adjust the equaliser? If you can find a way, that is!
Have adjusted to appropriate mins and maxs.

Ah, do you think my old phones are noise cancelling? They are just a set my son gave me.

Not home at the moment so will see when I get home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back