hearth depth opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm building up a hearth, starting with a row of bricks to raise the level, back fill the void behind it and lay slate tiles on the new raised level. Question is, do I bring the hearth out a brick's length, as per the tiles on the left, or half a bricks length, as per the right? Is there a standard protocol or is it just down to personal preference?

Attachments

• WP_20170625_16_57_55_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170625_16_57_55_Pro.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
What is the hearth for?
Regulations vary per appliance being used, I would suggest you take a look at part J of the building reg for guidance.

For the minute its just decorative, may put in a log burner. I'll check out part J as recommended

OK, I've laid a line of bricks to define the front edge of the and intend to screed the void at the rear to create a surface to then tile off. Slate tiles, 300mm square. May be a stupid question, but I presume I should fix the tiles with heat resistant adhesive? Is there such a thing as hearth grout to finish the job properly?

Attachments

• WP_20170702_13_57_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170702_13_57_30_Pro.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
If you're going to possibly fit a log burner at a later stage, then ideally, you need to work out how far to bring the hearth out now; unless you can add another section later that is. You don't need any special heat resistant cement or grout, as there's no real heat from a log burner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back