Hearth for wood burning stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I get a bit of advise please. I’m wanting a wood burning stove as a replacement for a gas fire. The very small builders opening has a concrete base but as the stove will sit further out it will protrude over the wooden suspended floor.

Having read over a few regs just setting a stone hearth on the wood is a no go and raising it up with an air gap isn’t really ideal.

Can any pros provide a solution?

Many thanks!

pfa.

Attachments

• D8FC0AD2-3FE8-4DE1-9348-58DF88B958FB.jpeg
    D8FC0AD2-3FE8-4DE1-9348-58DF88B958FB.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
a bit late now but you could have bricked it outwards.

Depends on the finish you want
Brick base
Concrete base covered by tiles
Premade marbel hearth
Slabs

Not sure if that is a chimney or flue brick, if latter wood burning is out. But wood burning is a problem well so is coal, in that to be efficient there is a set rate of burn, above and you waste heat out of flue, below and you build up deposits, so there is the for show wood burner which does not produce enough heat, and is supplemented with central heating and there is the for daily use type which normally connects to central heating so it can get rid of excess heat, the latter invariably have doors, so no real problem with hearth.

I really liked the idea of a wood burner, but last house found flue was not good enough, and this house to fit an efficient one looking at £12k. I have open hearth and some wood OK for Christmas, but most of year boarded up with a hole for the AC pipe.

Job one for you is see if the flue is suitable. And also what the Hetas registored installer will permit, yes you can buy a cheap and nasty from B&Q etc, but since say regs, I assume you want it to comply and have a Hetas certificate, got a feeling gas will be going back in?

Sponsored Links
You might get more replies if you put this in Building....not really Trade Talk is it?
50mm superimposed hearth will probably do, get an installer in & see what they suggest. Flue will be expensive, liner will be required & access tends to make it a £1000 element

Who removed the Gas fire? Looks very much like the gas supply pipe is still there and hasn't been capped correctly! Get that looked at ASAP by a Gas Safe engineer.

Once thats sorted then the gas pipe will have to be cut back somewhere under the floor and capped safely before you can do much else. Chimney will need lining, fireplace and surrounding area suitably prepared to take the heat from a wood burner and all Regs satisfied or if something goes wrong, and you've no HETAS cert, Insurance will walk away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back