Hearth Requirement Gas Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

First post.

I am preparing a property for tenants. I have a Baxi LFE outset gas fire (with back boiler). Whilst it is wall mounted and the bottom is 1.5" from floor, the Corgi fitter would not issue the landlord safety certificate as he stated there is not sufficient floor clearance and that I must install a hearth.

The front fire is actually disconnected as the house is well insulated and in my 10 yrs there, I never had need to use it. The fitter doesn't know whether having the fire disconnected means I do not infact need a hearth to comply with safety regs.

The fire was originally installed by Baxi themselves and has never had a hearth. The fitter says it was fitted incorrectly and that all annual certificates I have had issued should never have been given.

The cynic in me wonders if he is just touting for more business as he had quoted to fit the hearth now.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but that wouldn't be relevant even if I still had a copy of the manual after all these years as it won't provide information on current fire and safety regs regarding whether a hearth is required where the gas fire has been disconnected.

I remain appreciative for any further replies.

Wall mounted fires/bbus must have a minimum of 9"(230mm) from a flammable floor covering to the bottom of the burner.

A hearth should extend 12" in front of the burner and at least 6" either side.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention a hearth must be at least 50mm 'thick' around the edges, but in practice most are this thick all over.

You can still have a cert, with the fault noted on it. Just because things aren't correct doesn't mean no cert. The cert should state how things were on arrival, with remedial actions/advise/measures taken.
How the RGi found it and how the RGi left it.
no pass or fail, certs all round.

copper effect hearth £30-£40, prob not cost effective but you could make one, as posted the 50mm dimension is height from ground but you can make a timber one fitted with 12mm thick tiles on 38mm timber to get the 50mm height.

Rember a bbu is two appliances innit so therefore work out are we over
7k per room what is the adventitious.think.extra ventilation maybe. Hard
to say when you are not there

Rember a bbu is two appliances innit so therefore work out are we over
7k per room what is the adventitious.think.extra ventilation maybe. Hard
to say when you are not there
WHat's hard, Des? All BBU's are way over 7kW - they ALL need a permanent vent!

Oh and the 230 mm posted above is 225mm!

The gas man should still have issued the Gas Safety Record, with the need for a hearth noted. It's only "Not to Current Standard" so no action has to be taken about it!

is it true you can put a couple of paving slabs down as a hearth?

Believe it or not , I have actually seen this on more than one occasion!

Well, I didn't expect all those replies and some great advice so thank you. The Safety Certiciate will be a Landlords one (I have tenants about to take up residence). The Corgi guy said this is why he wouldn't issue the cert ... because it requires everything to be 100% as oppose to a domestice cert only that is less demanding.

Is he right? I must say it sounds reasonable to me as I know the law regarding rented property is pretty stringent.

your guy is wrong, you issue a cert on what you find and record accordingly what you as the landlord do about his report is your business, although comon sense "should" lead you to taking good technical advice, it doesn't matter whethwr the work is for a landlord or a private customer we need to work to the same rules, not really sure why he is reluctant to issue unless he isn't sure what he is meant to be recording/checking

A LGSC is not an MOT test!

Every appliance in the house could be ID - Immediately Dangerous. In which case he must isolate every appliance and issue a certificate and warning notices to that effect.
If the inspection is not made then it is the landlord that is liable.

This should help clarify the situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back