hearth square whole airbrick purpose ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have a air brick on the outside wall only on the gable end of my 1970s detached house about 9ft up,this was sealed when we had cavity wall insulation installed years ago, my question is what was its original purpose and should I unblock it and will it reduce condensation ?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
did it go into the kitchen? Near a corner? Or did it just go into the cavity and not through to the room?

If you are suffering excessive condensation, ventilation will help take away the water vapour, but there are a number of other things you can do. Chief among these is never to throw buckets of water at the walls, or drape wet washing inside your home, which amounts to the same thing.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Building:Condensation-in-Houses

did it go into the kitchen? Near a corner? Or did it just go into the cavity and not through to the room?

If you are suffering excessive condensation, ventilation will help take away the water vapour, but there are a number of other things you can do. Chief among these is never to throw buckets of water at the walls, or drape wet washing inside your home, which amounts to the same thing.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Building:Condensation-in-Houses
It's around the middle of a gable end wall about 9ft up ,its only on the outside ,there is internal a chimney stack about 2ft to the left.
The brick is about the same height as the void in between the ceiling in downstairs utility and the floor in a upstairs bedroom.
We try not to dry any clothing inside.

Sponsored Links
if there is no sign that it ever came inside the house (e.g. patched plaster on the inside) then it will have been intended to ventilate the cavity. This is no longer considered necessary, since the bricks are porous, so it is normal for them to be blocked when CWI is installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back