Heat exchanger issues on Gloworm Betacom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gloworm Betacom boiler on Gloworm (Homeserve) extended warranty. Boiler is 1.5 years old. All pipes and radiators were changed 8 months ago. All was fine for 6 months and than hot water started to change from hot to cold every 20-30 seconds when you run hot water. Boiler man changed heat exchanger which was blocked. All started to work but failed same way in 2-3 weeks. Same boiler man came around, took the heat exchanger away and showed me black flakes coming out of heating side of the heat exchanger. He said that they could not change it again as looks like my heating system is dirty. We changed water in system, used all required chemicals, installed magnetic filter before the boiler on the heating system, after that they (Gloworm) have changed heat exchanger and the pump again and all was working fine for another 4 weeks. Than the same story again. Whole system is brand new, magnetic filter installed, water was changed and all required chemicals used. Why is that failing again? What can be the source of that black stuff which blocks it? Any ideas? What's next to do?

Sponsored Links
Suppose you buy the best beef?

Then someone cooks it so badly that it was not at all enjoyable!

Sounds like that kind of person has worked on your system!

How much dirt has been collected by the Magnaclean?

Tony

Well, i'm not an expert on what is much, however I've cleaned it twice over last month and it was just a bit of black powder on the plastic rod - nothing scary. When you say someone worked badly on my system, what exactly they might have done? I've bought all radiators myself and seen all the new pipework. can they really install it that bad?

Sponsored Links
No, all copper. The only platstic part is from mains to the stop valve inside the house but that has no influence to the heating system as far as I understand how it all works. I'm not sure what to do next. Changing boiler might not remove the cause. Maybe power flush? any suggestions?

We dont really know exactly what your problem is.

You say that all the right things have been done but we dont know what was really done or what chemicals are said to have been used. Did you actually see them being added to the system?

Homeserve do not have a reputation for employing very good people!

Tony

No, i have not seen them added myself but i do trust the guy who did it as he (with his team) was doing the whole house and he was honest and very good in everything so i doubt he would try to save £100 on chemicals. I'll ask what he used.
I understand that it's hard for you to say what the cause is - but what i would appreciate is an advice what would you do now if you were in my shoes?
thank you

Then I would sack Homeserve and repair the system myself'

But then thats what I do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back