Heat loss calculations for floors

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was showing someone the SEDBUK boiler size (heat loss) calculator. I had the idea that it allows you to specify floor construction, as they are interested in insulating between the joists of a suspended timber floor and adding UFH.

the SEDBUK doesn't appear to have this parameter.

Is there one that does, or some rule of thumb figures for uninsulated ventilated suspended floors; and insulated ones?

TIA

Sponsored Links
The Sedbuk Calculator is based on an older version of that produced by the Energy Saving Trust. You can download the latest version from Here. Unfortunately it's only paper-based.

However Baxi have produced an Online calculator which seems to be based on this document.

thanks!

it's very sketchy on floor insulation, but I ran test figures for my own house, and it came out about right.

it's very sketchy on floor insulation
It may appear that way, but U values for floors are calculated in a completely different way from walls etc. The size and shape of the floor has a considerable effect, so it it possible to have an uninsulated floor with a very low U-value. You will see this in table 6 of the EST document - as the ratio of floor area to perimeter increases the U-value decreases. Though I'm not sure how you can have a building with a ratio of 20:1.

Sponsored Links
For insulated floors you will also have varied U values depending on the type of insulation you use. Different insulation have varied thermal properties. Suppliers of insulation would supply these and they would be added to the equation. Oh the joy of doing Part L :)
Building regs Part L1B gives you the info for existing builds - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_L1B_2011.pdf - Section 5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back