Heat reflecting window film

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts,

I need to do something about the heat in one of our bedrooms that faces south. I think the best way forward is going to be some heat reflective film.

I've seen some good ones that don't reduce light levels much, but do have very good heat and UV reduction. For example 3M Prestige Clear.

However, being in Jersey, there is nowhere that stocks it. 1 place has provided a quote and it would cost more than the window did!

Can any experts advise on any other good films, and where I might buy them? 3M seem to only be available through authorised installers.

Thanks in advance for any help....
Tim

Sponsored Links
Im currently fitting a shed load of solar control 20 across roughly 2000 BT exchanges to keep the heat down along with upgraded air con, should keep me busy for the next few years

20190611_145347.jpg
20190611_124612.jpg
20190520_152420.jpg
20190520_151925.jpg
20190405_111847.jpg

We buy our film from Arc Films up in Wigan but theres others, stock films is another, both would be happy to ship to you, also try ebay and buy by the metre. Quality wise look for a film that has real aluminium reflective foil NOT the cheaper end of the market dyed stuff, will last half as long, quality films are guaranteed for 10 years now

Thanks all,

I've found a company on eBay who seem to know their stuff, and their film is £20 per metre.

I've also found someone who can sell me 3M film, and it's about £40 per metre - Prestige 90 External. I think it's metal free though.

Any thoughts on whether it's worth the premium of 3M over a decent no-brand film?

Also is the external film better? I've read various things, one that exterior film prevents the heat even getting to the glass and so reduces the risk of cracking, but I have no idea if this is valid of not.

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Correct external film is better as it stops the heat before it gets to the glass, filming the inside can trap the heat between the film and any heat reflective glass like low e, however sometimes its not practicle to film outside so it has to be internal, also you are meant to seal the edges on external film to stop water ingress, clear varnish and a little touch up brush

Correct external film is better as it stops the heat before it gets to the glass, filming the inside can trap the heat between the film and any heat reflective glass like low e, however sometimes its not practicle to film outside so it has to be internal, also you are meant to seal the edges on external film to stop water ingress, clear varnish and a little touch up brush

Thanks, very re-assuring.

Fancy a trip to Jersey to do some installation? :D

Looking at my planner all being well i should be on site in Jersey last week in May 2021

In the end, I got some Solarguard Solyx Ultra Cool Ir8360 film, and an experienced friend cut it all at his work, and we applied it 10 days ago to the outside of all south and west facing windows.

Results are very good - minimal change to window appearance from inside, a bit more reflective outside. But most importantly, on a hot sunny day, the room is at least 3 degrees Celsius cooler!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back