Sealing external reflective window film

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat gets so hot every summer, it's 32-32C at the moment and it's going to be a while before I can install air con, so I'm going to install solar reflective film on the windows as an interim measure to try to prevent my flat cooking me.

Unfortunately my double-glazed windows aren't toughened (there's no kitemark or BS mark that I can see), so I can't use an internal film as the heat will build up between the panes and possible crack them. So I'm going to use this external film instead (I'll need to get a window cleaner or someone else who's got a head for heights to fit it, as I get dizzy on a step ladder and my flat's on the first floor) (I don't know if this is the best film but it seems safer buying it from a company like this than trying to choose something on Amazon).

It says under Important Note "As this film will be exposed to the elements, we highly recommend that you seal the edges of the film with a silicone sealant to prevent water ingress. Only apply the sealant once the film has cured to the glass, a process which could take up to 2 weeks depending on outside temperature."

Is the film likely to cure a lot quicker than 2 weeks in the current temperatures? I guess it's not that critical and I could just book the fitter to come back to seal it after 2 weeks to be safe.

The product information says this about the construction:

"1. "Hard" scratch resistant layer, for durability and ease of maintenance during window cleaning

2. High optical quality polyester, with anti IR metal particles deposit

3. Bonding adhesive

4. High optical quality polyester

5. PS adhesive, glass polymerization within 15 days

6. Protection release liner, disposable after installation"

Presumably the only layer that the silicone will be in contact with is the top scratch resistant layer and it doesn't say what material that's made from. Can I use any waterproof silicone sealant with this film, like this one, or do I need something special?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back