Can interior solar heat reflective film cause cracking or damage window seals?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to reduce solar heating of the south-side of the house but only during summer (most of the time solar heating is an asset) so I was thinking the easiest thing to do would be to apply some of that solar reflective film to the inside and remove it once summer ends. Obviously performance would be better if the heat was reflected on the other (exterior) side of the glass but I think only the interior ones are made in the removable static cling form instead of the self-adhesive form.

Does anyone here know whether there is any actual basis for rumours of windows cracking or the double-glazing seals being damaged by the heat when you reflect from the inside?

Sponsored Links
If one part of unit is in shade and one part in direct sunlight for an extended period , yes you could thermal shock breakage ... seen it with laminates. Also bear in mind with those solar reflective films where the film is reflecting the sunlight too ( as risk of blinding neighbours etc and reflecting on to dry grass..... ) and also that, at night , if you have the lights on indoors and no curtains/blinds people will be able to see right in as clear as day( think interrogation rooms on Police dramas, that's why the lights are off the side watchers are standing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back