heat resistant do-dahs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
morning all

we finally managed to pickup our log burning stove the other day (very nice 1930s art deco affair). unfortunately when you walk across the room the vibration is picked up in the stove and it rattles (stove on tiled hearth in chimney - flooring = floor boards ).

i reckon something like a bit of rubber or wood would do the trick to dampen down any vibration but unfortunately the legs are cast iron so i reckon they'll get pretty darn hot when the stove is in use - anyone any ideas for a substitute dampener...

cheers

Sponsored Links
slimfast.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist!

You don't say whether this is on the ground floor...

If you're saying the feet get hot, I would be carefull as to what you place under the feet.

If the hearth is resting on the floor, the only thing I can think of to rectify the problem satisfactorily, is to double up on the joists to prevent movement. Or build a couple of pillars and cross brace. But without seeing or having other information it's difficult to tell.

hmmmmm slimfast :eek:

mildmanneredjanitor said:
Sorry, couldn't resist!
If you're saying the feet get hot, I would be carefull as to what you place under the feet.

that's why i'm asking - lol

it's on the ground floor but we have a cellar underneath (so floorboards) - it rests in a tiled health about 1 1/2 inchs thick (or whatever the regulations were when i put it in).

i don't think it needs anything fancy just a little something to stop the vibrations coming through - i thought about that cloth that goes around oven doors to create a seal??

cheers for the reply henry :D

Sponsored Links
:idea: Why not make a small template of the leg bottom from 4mm ply or simliar, cut it out, them fill the template void with black (assuming stove is black?) silicone sealeant, then when it has cured you will have an anti vibration pad with extreme heat resiting properties, that you will hardly notice? :)

BiGDave said:
:idea: Why not make a small template of the leg bottom from 4mm ply or simliar, cut it out, them fill the template void with black (assuming stove is black?) silicone sealeant, then when it has cured you will have an anti vibration pad with extreme heat resiting properties, that you will hardly notice? :)

That sir, is a top idea...
the stove is actually a kind of enamelled purple (don't you just love deco!) but by-eck bigdave i reckon your onto something.

might even pop down to *ahem* b&Q at lunchtime to see what goo they do.

cheers matey :D

Sorbothane, with plywood on top (to protect from heat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back