Heated Towel Rail on Primary HW circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was considering moving our heated towel rail in the bathroom from the CH to the primary HW circuit, so that we can have it on when the rest of the CH is off, but I read that the Building Regs (Section L) now either discourage or ban this practice. The towel rail is small (three rail Myson) so it's not exactly going to stretch the HW system. What's the true position on this now?

Thanks,

d

Sponsored Links
Go for it, when would do you expect building control to have a snoop around your piping layout?
Pete

Mine was like that, but I didnt like extra heat in the bathroom in the summer. So now its part of the heating circuit.

mine IS like that, I modified it myself. It has a TRV and the lockshield is throttled down. If I don't want it hot in the summer, guess what I do? ;)

Sponsored Links
You can add a thermostatic electric element and have both. The problem with the HW circuit is that today's cylinders do not require as many heating cycles so most of the time the cyl stat is satisfied and your towel rail cools.

mine IS like that, I modified it myself. It has a TRV and the lockshield is throttled down. If I don't want it hot in the summer, guess what I do? ;)

Are but mine is the rad without the trv ;)

Thanks to you all for your replies, especially Nixt - you have saved me from making a time-consuming mistake: it hadn't occurred to me that when the HW cylinder stat is satisfied there would be no circulation in the towel rail - although it's obvious to me now! I'm going to leave it on the CH system and just turn off the other rads when we want the towel rail on. :D

mine come off between the pump and the three-port valve so it gets the best of both worlds. Hence the throttled-down lockshield to prevent it stealing flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back