Heated Towel Rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a little help here please :) I'm not very DIY, well.. I'll give it a go, but this is my first house so not got much practice so far!

It's a 2001 build, so not too old, has a Boilermate and a standard boiler. All of the radiators work, except the two heated towel rails in the bathroom and the en-suite.

I had thought the little white twisty knobs underneath weren't open but when turned they didn't seem to do much, pulled them off and they're pretty loose inside, so I suspected they weren't actually turning the valves at all.

Got some pliers on them and managed to open the left side until it turned freely, but just cannot turn the right side. Is this correct or could it be stuck shut? (Not sure why but maybe the previous owner wanted them off)

Few pictures to show what I'm talking about;

Managed to undo this one reasonably easy, and turns freely now.

This side is stuck shut. I've undone the nut behind it and this comes off freely but doesn't make any difference.

I've tried bleeding it from this but a little air came out and then water so I assumed this is bled enough?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Just at risk of stating the obvious here, but if that valve cant be made to open, the rad will stay cool as there wont be any water circulation.
The rad will still bleed though. Try a pair of Mole grips to get a hold of the stem....they rarely fail, and are much stronger than pliers.
Keep the gland nut slack at the same time.....tighten it up later.
John :)

Thanks John.

So should both valves be able to be opened? Or is one fixed shut.. I'm reading online things about one 'Lockshield' valve and another flow rate valve..

Thanks again - will give mole grips a go.

Try to identify the flow and return (the flow gets hot first).
Once you've done that, and both valves can be operated, turn the flow one on full. The other one (called the lockshield) is not turned once the system has been balanced - in practice, its usually only open one turn from fully off, and then left alone.
So, if you want to turn the heat off, you turn the flow valve only.
Hope you get the other valve sorted!
John :)

Sponsored Links
On this valve it appears to have a thread inside.. On both rails, the flat parts of the valve are at 12 o'clock, meaning I can't get a good grip on them.

Going to give them a going over with penetrating oil and a pair of mole grips later today.

Are you sure that stuck one is actually stuck shut? It might be fully open. Try turning it clockwise a bit first. You never know. You wouldn't be the first person to struggle to open something that was already open.

Thanks for all of the help so far!

Cannot get it to work, tried with a few different pairs of mole grips and some penetrating oil and no luck.

Think I'm going to have to pay someone to fix it for me :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back