heater/boiler help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

after some help with my central heating if poss. I know nothing on the subject lol!
i have a tank in my airing cupboard and a boiler in the attic, i have gas central heating. Sometimes a loud noise (like a humming almost) comes from inside the tank in the airing cupboard (the thing with insulation round it) it may do it for 5 seconds or so and stop or sometimes it will keep doing it. if i turn the thermostat down for the heating it stops and when i turn the thermostat up again its ok. the noise is really really loud when it does it and can be heard from anywhere through the house and almost feels like it vibrates through the pipes. its that bad i have to run upstairs and turn the thermostat down

anyone know what this may be?

many thanks in advance for advice offered.

Sponsored Links
It could be water hammer. The ball valve in you tank vibrating. You say it stops as soon as you turn down your thermostats. If this is the case than it may be the boiler or components.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back