Heaters cooler at the bottom half

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Three out of our 12 heaters are cooler at the bottom that at the top. We power flushed the system as advised, but the problem remains. In addition, these radiators were separately taken down and washed down with a hose separately.

As an experiment, I switched off ALL the heaters and then switched on each of them independantly (fully turning both valves). The problem disappeared with two of the radiators.

When I turned on all the heaters, the bottom half of these radiators cooled down.

Don't get me wrong, they are still hot, but noticeably different from the top half.

Any ideas of what could the cause be? Is it the pump? is it just a more delicate balancing act? Do I need another power flush?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :mad:

Sponsored Links
these are normal radiators right? they are fed from the bottom?

does it actually matter? i mean, are the rooms with these radiators noticeably colder than the other rooms?

It would be normal to have about 11 degrees difference between top and bottom. Do you have more than that?

Well, it does to the wife.

On a serious note, yes, they are normal rads and it is noticeably different in the one room with the two "faulty" radiators.

As for the 11 degrees difference, I thought it was between the left (inlet) and right (outlet) rather than the top and bottom. If this is the case, this I can comfortably narrow the problem down to one radiator.

I am tempted to just replace them with three new rads. any thoughts? My theory is that there is limescale in the rads and the power flush cleaned everything else out

Thanks again for your advice

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem. The difference between temperature of top and bottom on a couple rads was quite big so was advised to fit a new central heating pump which worked great and solved the problem. If you have added radiators you can fit a slightly larger capacity pump Grundfos 50/60 or similar.

Thanks, this was my initial gut feel as I had to increase the pump from 2 to 3 to actually heat the affected rooms.

British Gas are coming to inspect our system before agreeing to insure us for the year, so will wait to get his formal report and carry out all the required work at once.

I will update this forurm with his findings. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back