Heating and hot water ideas for renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time poster here.

I'm potentially going to buy a house in the next few months.

The one I am looking at is a large 3 bed semi. It currently has a gas fire and back boiler for heating and hotwater, so I'll be looking to renovate the whole system. This will all be done by an installer, not myself, but I would like to start to plan the system now.

It's currently 3 bedrooms and one family bathroom, however I will be looking to add a downstairs toilet and possibly a loft conversion with ensuite bathroom.

Due to the fact that the loft space may disappear, I think an unvented system would be the best option (so no water or expansion tanks in the loft) with heat provided by a efficient gas boiler or a new baxi micro CHP system. This would mean good flow rates even if two hot water sources were being used.

I would also like the capability to add in solar heated water at a later date so was thinking that I would just get a water tank that has a second heating coil in it at the bottom and blank it off for now. An immersion heater would also be fitted in case of boiler failure.

In one of the reception rooms I am planning on having a wood burning stove. This will be for occasional use, however I am wondering whether it would be possible to get one with a boiler, and use it as an additional piece of water heating. However, I know there are concerns with unvented systems and am wondering whether it would be worth it as it will only occasionally get used.

Finally, I am also looking at MVHR systems. I am wondering how effective they would be in a 1930s house as it be difficult to get it airtight. Does this matter? and is it possible to make the house more airtight?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Solar hot water is a waste of time unlikely to ever pay for itself.
Similarly I would expect with a MVHR system.

Cheapest install is a combi which when it comes down to paying
for it you might actually go for especially if you aren't planning
on staying in that house for the rest of your life.

Solar hot water is a waste of time unlikely to ever pay for itself.
Similarly I would expect with a MVHR system.

Cheapest install is a combi which when it comes down to paying
for it you might actually go for especially if you aren't planning
on staying in that house for the rest of your life.

Yes I agree that currently solar hot water is not a viable option, but for the little added cost of a larger tank, it would give me the option furthde down the line.

Are you suggesting a combi with no storage tank? All combis I have ever used have really poor shower pressure.

My preferred options for people would be

1. combi with electric show
2. combi with (gas saver or energy catcher see baxi or ravenheat)
Will save as much as solar hot water
3. system boiler with unvented cylinder

If I were buying a house today and was planning on living in the UK and that house for a long time would be does the roof face south and can I get free solar panels on it.

My option of course would be leave the UK and move somewhere warmer were all this doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, although I do have a south facing roof, much of it is taken up by a bonnet dormer that sits on top of the bay windows.

Initially, it will just be myself and my girlfriend, so I think a combi would be fine. However we do have space for a tank, and if we are adding a second shower, a unvented system boiler seems the sensible way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back