Heating comes on uncommanded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the program controller off and the room thermostat at 0 and the froststat at 3 th eheating comes on in warm weather?

Sponsored Links
Give us a few more clues to work with. What type of system do you have? What's the boiler?

fortune-teller.jpg

Come on, at least give us something to go on. System type? Boiler make/model? What controls do you have? Sudden fault or has it gradually got worse?

Sorry last post not replies so didn't type it all out again in this one, here we go.

Boiler Worcester 24ri (2 years old)
Garage Frost Stat (18 years old)
Drayton Room Stat (18 years old)
Single zone with 3 port valve H M W. (2 years old)
Drayton LP522 programmer (18 years old)

Most of the time it works OK.

The room stat will be set at 0 and I hear it click on if I turn it up, the frost stat the same.
If I check the 3 port it will be on H and programmer heating is on, when I turn up the tank T stat the 3 port moves to W and back, if I switch programmer heating off 3 port stays in H, which I'm told it stays in last position. The pump is running.

If I switch off mains and back on seems to all self correct.

Sponsored Links
You have been told correctly: the 3-port valve does stay in its last position. When held in the CH only position there is still a voltage on the orange wire. (This is the switched live to the boiler for CH only.) When only CH is running the voltage is 230VAC; but when CH is stopped and the valve held in CH only the voltage reduces to approx 150VAC. Normally this is low enough to prevent the boiler lighting. However some boilers will still light with this lower voltage. I believe some WB boilers are known to have this problem.

Your RGI should be able to sort the problem out with advice from WB.

Many thanks, I have an electrical back ground, just not heating, so I can check and see if what you say is correct.

Should the installer have known this?

Last edited:
Only those RGIs who take an interest are likely to be aware of this problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back