Heating comes on when hot water is turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I looked for an answer first in the FAQ's but couldn't find anything relevant, so i hope someone here can shed some light on this!

We've had our heating button set to off all summer, as you'd expect, but the other day the wife turned it on for an hour just to warm the house through.
Our heating setting is always in the on setting.

Now if we have the hot water set to on, the heating comes on as well. The thermostatic dial is set to its lowest setting and the heating is set to off.

We had the thermostatic dial fitted last year and a new diverter valve fitted.

Its an oil fired system off a worcester boiler. The heating controls are Honeywell. (sorry i don't have any more details than this at the moment)

Hope someone can help. Personally i blame the wife for turning the heating on when it was 21c outside on a sunny day.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You probably have a motorised valve which has jammed.

Depending on your skill lever you might be able to free it up.

Its less likely but possible that the motor has failed.

Most people just call a heating engineer like Caradon services.

Tony

If you had a new diverter valve last year it may be that you have a dirty system & after your wife put on htg something has blocked the htg port allowing hot water to pass down to htg circuit. Try feeling pipes on div valve & check if lever on side hasn't inadvertently locked into the venting position

It definitely sounds like the valve has somehow jammed in the open position. We'd need more info on what valve it is to advise you further on what to try next. Most valves have numbers on them which would help or maybe the guy that fitted it for you wrote something on the bill.

get some more info and I'll try to help if I can.

Sponsored Links
Right in my case the thermostat is on even when my CH is off is that mean that I have a problem?

Excuse me my poor knowloge

How many pipes connect to the motorised valve?

You could locate the small lever on the side of the valve. Push quickly to the manual position and allow the valve to return the lever under its own spring pressure. Now repeat a doezen times. This may free it up a little.

Now put the heating on (stat turned up) for a minute then off. Repeat a few times.

Thanks so much for all of you that posted replies about diverted or valves. Are you all in the trade and keeping it a secret as to where these things are so you don't do yourself out if pocket? Isn't it obvious the layman (like me) need to know where they are? Where the heck are these things you speak of? Not much use this forum if you just reel of technical spec without actually telling the guy in simple terms his to fix the problem.

Andbuck, we do repairs for customers and charge for them during the day.

Sometimes we spend a little time giving some helpful general advice on heating problems. This thread is quite typical and gives enough information for a DIYer to do his own repair if he has some basic knowledge or takes a few minutes to look it up.

But certainly what I don't do is to write a detailed step by step manual on how to do simple repairs for those who don't know anything and who don't want to research a little to find out. Those people can pay someone!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back