Heating leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New poster here..
We got a plumber in to remove and cap a radiator in the kitchen.

6 days later the guy from 2 floors below comes up and asks if we have a leak as is coming through the ceiling. We look around and see a leak from the capped rad, call the plumber and he stops the leak.

It turns out the guy in the flat below was on holiday but when he comes back theres no ceiling left in the room below our kitchen.

Now our first thought is to blame the plumber but his insurance company insists theres no way that amount of water could have come from a heating system even tho it was running for 6 days and we noticed a lack of pressure and topped it up twice.

I can't see where else it came from as it stopped after the leak was capped but everyone insists you only get about a pailful of water from a heating system (normal gas boiler).

Is this right or could that amount of water come from our system?

Sponsored Links
Both a sealed system and an open vented system will only hold a few gallons of water...... BUT.... An open vented system usually has a ball valve in the expansion tank to make good any losses, so the amount of water can be limitless.

Same with a sealed system if the filling loop is left open - Any water leaking out would be made up again from the mains water supply.

We noticed a lack of pressure and topped it up twice
There's the source of the water then ;)

You don't need a great deal of water to trash the ceiling below and there's certainly enough in a CH system to do the job.

Why did you just top it up ... Didn't you wonder where the pressure had gone?

I'd go and make peace with your canoeing downstairs neighbour if I were you :LOL:

MW

scotsrick apart from who is to blame if your flat is one in a block buildings insurance should cover this
hope this helps

Sponsored Links
HI

hmmm? capped off supply ?
i wonder whether the plumber disturbed any joints while working on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back