Heating LPG, Oil, Ground or Air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My LPG Boiler is 15 years old and need changing. I have an old 1982 solid wall house with 4 bedrooms. Insulation is not great, did have none but just put in 70mm insulation board.
What do I buy, Lpg boiler, Oil Boiler, Ground or Air Heat source.

I really don't know what to do could someone please take the time to give me advise and a few facts.

I also seen that there are grants for air and ground source heat. Could someone also give me advise on this?

Many thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Do you mean 1982 or 1892? Can't see that a 1982 house has solid walls.

If you are happy with LPG, get a new LPG boiler with weather compensation - this will save you quite a bit. A new condensing boiler will be more efficient than an older one, and weather compensation will save a further 15%.

Improve your house insulation as much as you can.

Very sorry, I mean 1892. Can you expalin weather compensation?
Price for one of these ex works? Price of one without weather compensation?

Very greatfull

Regards
John

Do you mean 1982 or 1892? Can't see that a 1982 house has solid walls.

If you are happy with LPG, get a new LPG boiler with weather compensation - this will save you quite a bit. A new condensing boiler will be more efficient than an older one, and weather compensation will save a further 15%.

Improve your house insulation as much as you can.

I agree with MM, ASHP or GSHP in a poorly insulated property is madness!!

If you have an existing LPG bulk tank, you can now shop around for your fuel. If you switch to another supplier they then just transfer the bulk tank..............That'll also save you a few bob............. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Weather compensation looks at the outside temperature constantly.

You tell it what temperature you want inside the house, and when you want it.

It looks at the difference between the actual outside temperature and the desired inside temperature, and works out how hot the radiators [or underfloor heating] need to be.

This prevents excess energy being put into the house, but also, by reducing the flow temperature to the lowest it can be, it keeps a condensing boiler condensing practically all the time. My flow temperature has never been above 59C the last two winters.

By efficient with respect to your converted cooker, I meant the ratio of heat to water as a percentage of heat in. This can be poor on a converted cooker.

Weather compensation looks at the outside temperature constantly.

You tell it what temperature you want inside the house, and when you want it.

It looks at the difference between the actual outside temperature and the desired inside temperature, and works out how hot the radiators [or underfloor heating] need to be.

This prevents excess energy being put into the house, but also, by reducing the flow temperature to the lowest it can be, it keeps a condensing boiler condensing practically all the time. My flow temperature has never been above 59C the last two winters.

By efficient with respect to your converted cooker, I meant the ratio of heat to water as a percentage of heat in. This can be poor on a converted cooker.

MM, I think you're getting your threads mixed up mate.

Weather compensation is not the best thing for a poorly insulated house, the heat-loss can be too high.

I am not, and it is.

A good weather compensator can be adjusted to suit any building, and will control the heat input correctly. The bigger the fuel usage, the bigger the savings.

The savings are in moderate weather conditions, when the boiler can condense most of the time under weather comp.

I am not, and it is.

A good weather compensator can be adjusted to suit any building, and will control the heat input correctly. The bigger the fuel usage, the bigger the savings.

The savings are in moderate weather conditions, when the boiler can condense most of the time under weather comp.

Get real MM, it's a 120 YO house for Christ sake!! There will be more draughts in it than a game of Checkers!!! Wouldn't fancy trying to set up the ratio on a weather compensation system in a house like that FFS!!

There is no need for you to be abusive.

We assume that the house is reasonably draught-free.

Whilst there are some weather compensators which will not cope with this building, there are those which can and will. Agreed, they do need a bit of knowledge and experience to set them up, but it can be done.

I am not, and it is.

Get real MM, it's a 120 YO house for Christ sake!! There will be more draughts in it than a game of Checkers!!! Wouldn't fancy trying to set up the ratio on a weather compensation system in a house like that FFS!!

Beg to differ. My house is 120 years plus, solid walls, one 4"! internal garage and WC saved me a bundle from the first time it went in. It was a good one though and self-adaptive. Wish they still made it. Setting up one of the new ones would be a pain I admit and I wouldn't attempt it myself, no patience.

Yes, weather comp is good.

However, I admit that I HAD got my threads mixed up - I thought we were on the multiple pump one as well. I apologise.

Sorry MM if you thought I was being abusive, and it's a big man that admits he told a porker - it's more than I'd do....LOL!!!

I always value your views & unlike a lot of deadbeats on here, your posts are worth reading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back