Heating / Megaflo Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can give me some advice on a couple of problems I have with my heating / hot water system. I have an un-vented system with a megaflo in my flat. It was installed new ten years ago when the flats were built.

1) Hot Water Pump Keeps Running

This winter, when I have the heating on I have noticed that sometimes the hot water pump keeps running either when the thermostat has clicked the boiler off or the heating timer has turned off.

What used to happen is that if the thermostat temp was reached I would hear it click and the boiler would go off straightaway and so would the pump.

Now, when I hear the click of the thermostat, the boiler may continue firing for 30 odd seconds and then it turns off. If this happens (rather than turning off the instant the thermo clicks) the pump will continue running.

My plumber told me this was normal; that the pump was pushing cold water back to the boiler to cool it down. But I have had the pump continuing to run for three hours after the heating has gone off. When this happens I have turn the heating back on and muck around with the thermostat to try to get everything (the boiler and the pump) to turn off together. This can take a few attempts, during which I can sometimes get the boiler to come on and stay on with the heating switched off.

It seems as if the thermostat, boiler, pump and heating switch/timer aren't communicating properly.

Other things I have noticed are that when the thermostat has clicked off and the pump keeps running, the boiler may fire up a few more times in the next half hour for about 30 seconds each time and then go off (the pump keeps running).

2) Recharging Air Bubble on Megaflo (model Heatrae Sadia - CL170)

I have to recharge the air bubble in the megaflo every 30 days (the overflow begins to drip when the hot water is on).

My understanding is that this should not need to be done more than around twice a year, and when I first moved in ten years back I used to do it every three/four months, so I clearly have a prob.

Plumber has suggested he either drains the tank fully or I get a new one.

Any advice? Does it sound like I need a new megaflo? The only other info I can give is that the hot water is quite cloudy these days (it does clear a few seconds after it comes out of the tap) but I understand this is sometimes common with un-vented systems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What boiler do you have?

I would also not expect to have to recharge a megaflo hardly ever :eek:

Problem #1 is a sticking motorised valve, or just its switch, holding the boiler on. Common. New head if it's a Honeywell, fitted, under £150.
If it's an OLD boiler you might have something like a pump overrun stat playing about, but that wouldn't bring the boiler on.

Problem #2 seems to depend on local factors like how much air is dissolved in the water. Get a separate expansion vessel fitted (not tooo expensive, probably under say £200) and your troubles are over, and you get more hot water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the responses.

What boiler do you have?

I would also not expect to have to recharge a megaflo hardly ever :eek:

The boiler is an Ideal Classic and I think the model is FF260.

Problem #1 is a sticking motorised valve, or just its switch, holding the boiler on. Common. New head if it's a Honeywell, fitted, under £150.
If it's an OLD boiler you might have something like a pump overrun stat playing about, but that wouldn't bring the boiler on.

So although it’s the pump that is constantly running rather than the boiler you think it’s a boiler problem? I’m confused.

Problem #2 seems to depend on local factors like how much air is dissolved in the water. Get a separate expansion vessel fitted (not tooo expensive, probably under say £200) and your troubles are over, and you get more hot water.

Sorry, could you explain a bit more what you mean. The system already has two expansion vessels; one for the heating and one before the stop cock to stop thumping. How would this extra one be fitted?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back