Heating noise and igniting problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a 20 year old system that includes an Apollo Fanfare SI bolier with a honeywell 2 stage timer and a sunvic manual thermostat which is located in my hallway.

The problems I am having are as follows :

1) When I put my heating on continously, it runs for a short while and even although the thermostat is set at 29 degrees, it cuts off before reaching this temperature and when I say it cuts off, you can still hear it running but it is "pulsing" as if it is stuck and you can hear the solenoid in the bolier clicking repeatidly.It doesnt come back on until I turn it off completely and put back onto the continously setting.Also, if the heating is on the continous setting and this runs past the preset time on the timer to come on, it will not ignite the burner.

2) Finally, after my heating goes off in the morning (it is on from 6.45am until 8.00am) I can hear a noise directly above me in the loft.The closest I could describe it as is like a slight tapping / come/ cat scratching away at a carpet or a bird flapping its wings when trapped.

The noise runs for about 20 mins and then stops.

It is damn annoying as it is directly above my head in the bedroom.

Any ideas anybody ?

Sponsored Links
Does this 20 mins of noise coincide with the pump running then stopping? If so this will be the pump over run working to get the heat out of the boiler.

Could be just the pipes contracting as they are cooling down, of if your description of the noise is inaccurate , it could be pumping over into the expansion tank.

Whatever it is needs closer investigation in the loft.

I assume the clicking you mention is quite fast, as in the ingition sparking?

Could be a gas valve problem.

Ideally you need a RGI in to check everything over and perhaps give the boiler a loving service ;)

Cheers for the quick reply.

After the heating and water have both gone off, as per the timer, I hear the noise in the loft.

It has only started in the last month or so and as we have had a lot of cold weather recently, it could well be a contraction problem but I just want to be sure.

As for a closer inspection, I am prepared to have a look but I really dont know what I am looking for or inspecting to be honest.

As for the solenoid, yes, it is clicking fast.

I had a new 1 fitted a couple of months ago as it wasnt sparking at all.

This one fires up and runs fine until the house is not roasting but tepid.Then the boiler stops running and this clicking sound starts.

If I where to open the back door and let loads of cold air in, i would expect the bolier to fire up again but it doesnt.The only way I can get it to waor again is to turn the timer off and then onto continous again.

I have a warts and all service agreemnet with a company but they dont fill me with confidence at all so before phoning them, I thought I would get an opinion from you guys.

If it's sparking but not lighting, then it could be a poor spark, or could be a gas valve problem.

Without being there it is hard to say.

Call in the repair company and keep your fingers crossed. It is up to them to sort it out ;)

Sponsored Links
When I put my heating on continously, it runs for a short while and even although the thermostat is set at 29 degrees, it cuts off before reaching this temperature and when I say it cuts off, you can still hear it running but it is "pulsing" as if it is stuck and you can hear the solenoid in the bolier clicking repeatidly.
knackered or dodgy programmer/ clock

) Finally, after my heating goes off in the morning (it is on from 6.45am until 8.00am) I can hear a noise directly above me in the loft.The closest I could describe it as is like a slight tapping / come/ cat scratching away at a carpet or a bird flapping its wings when trapped.

Lately or has this always been the case? possibly pipes contracting depends, has it always been there? probably a bird flappin it`s wing or maybe a ghost? have you upset any dead relative lately.? Whoooooo....Whooooooo..... I am the Ghost of Jacob Marley.. etc... these bonds I forged in life...etc.. ring a bell.. :?:

You`re not a tight tw*at are you? :eek: serves you right... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back