Heating not work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help my heating system is giving me hot water but no heat.have checked the 2way moterised valve which is not opening. But will open manually and give me heat.suspected faulty thermostat. Bought new one but before conectig up had wires loose and checked for power the three wires red blue yellow .not showing live when programer off.but when calling for heat the red a yellow are showing live.if the blue is neutral I thought one of red or yellow would be switched live and become live when thermostat is wired up and calling for heat.or have I got that totally wrong. I want to make sure I have it wired correctly before I move on to checking if moterised valve is faulty ..any help much appreciated Stuart

Sponsored Links
Motorised valves are notorious for motor or microswitch faults.
You may not have a neutral at the thermostat. The wires should be sleeved brown or blue (or red or black) but there's a good chance it was missed.
Have you continuity tested the thermostat to confirm it's faulty?
Photos world help of the thermostat, valve and associated wiring entering them.
How are you testing for live? If it's a one contact screwdriver they just light up for anything with a potential, even earth. You should have an earth at every termination point. You need a proper two pole tester eg multimeter. Make sure the leads are CATIII rated and all potentially live terminals are shrouded before starting your tests.

Thanks John only tested it with flute tester for live.the old thermostat was a bit knackered so wanted to change any way.replaced like for like honeywell .I suspect the moterised valve is faulty can I by pass the thermostat to check if valve is faulty. Once I have made sure what wire is live

It would be better to diagnose and fix the fault scientifically before changing any other parts based on suspicion. Otherwise you don't know what's existing problems and what's new one.
When I was more of a beginner at this I tried to change an old mechanical programmer while diagnosing a fault. It was all well plastered into the wall, and I ended up just having to freshly wire it in from scratch as I hadn't got a clue what used to work and what didn't.
Learnt my lesson after that.

To answer your question, if it's a standard thermostat you can just bypass it. But start by understanding how it used to work. And photos would still help. No idea what a flute tester is, photos would help of that too.

Sponsored Links
Hi john wired it up to honeywell directions it is a T6360 thermostat .when I turn dial it clicks and light comes on at 20 degrees.suggesting wired right.but does not open moterised valve . Just wanted to try bypass just as a double check

It's hard to advise what procedure to follow without photos to be honest. You need to follow fault finding procedures to isolate the problem then change the offending part.

20171020_171104.jpg
Hi john trying to load pics see If this worksI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back