Central heating control, improvements......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. after stalking the forum for some time I need some help regarding my heating controls.
My system is atleast 30 years old , I have completely overhalled the system after a very frustrating and expensive winter last year. power flushed system and a new pump.
THE SYSTEM
It had no room stat and is only controled with TRV's and the Thermostat in the boiler
when on, the HW is constant with temp control via a remote TRV type valve which when closed diverts back to the boiler.
CH is controled via a honeywell zone valve and when closed diverts into the HW circuit then back to the boiler.
The boiler is a Glowworm space saver mk 2.
It is all controled via a randall / Danfoss 103 mechanical timer. HW / HW-CH.
PROBLEM
I wont to fit an electronic timer with more time control. But I am unable to change the wiring layout so need to use the currant wiring that pops out of the wall........
MY CURRANT WIRING IS
RED water on( two lives in this terminal running the pump and boiler constant)
Yellow CH on ( the yellow switches the moterised valve to allow CH)
RED (jumper from red live in)
Earth
Black, mains in
Red, live in.........
A timer I am looking at is a flow master with 6 terminals....
fused mains in, N L, HW CH off, HW CH on.
The thing that I cant get my head around is the single yellow wire that opperats the moterised valve as it is just an on circuit, when not powered it is off.
HOW DO I WIRE UP THE NEW CONTROLER
Thanks for sticking with the discrioption. all ideas greatfull recived,
Thanks ED

Sponsored Links
you cant , the valve you refer to for your HW is a mechanical valve, sometimes called a ravi stat as that was one of the manufacturers, if you want total control you will need either 2 x 2 port valves or 1 x 3 port valve and a total re-wire

Thanks Ian. so if I understand you. Because the HW is a ravi stat I cant control it via the controler( which I know) . Is there a controler that will just switch the system on hot water and a singel zone to activate the CH honeywell moterised valve.
I wont to have a controler that i can turn the system on and off more than two times a day. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
no you really need more controls , shouldnt be that expensive though, but I havent seen your system, so cant say for certain, might be worth overlooking your whole system and getting some quotes to modernize everything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back