Central Heating setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved house and on looking into the central heating system note that it is an old 'C' plan set up with gravity fed hot water and pumped CH. The controller is quite modern and can control HW and CH independantly. There is a cylinder stat and 2 way valve controlling the HW temperature and a room stat controlling the CH. My concern is that when the HW temp is satified (the valve shut) and the room temp is satified (CH pump off) the boiler is still on (although controlled by its own thermostat). Is this a normal set up or is there a wiring fault? Should the boiler not shutdown if both HW and CH are satisfied?

Sponsored Links
The boiler should shut down when the room thermostat is satisfied or the programmer switches off. when in central heating mode.

Here's the wiring diagram of a C plan.

View media item 73
You should not be getting the problem you described; I had exactly the same system at my last house (put it in myself) and never had any problem.

Apart from checking the wiring, you should also check the programmer is correctly set to Pumped - usually a switch on the back marked P(umped) and G(ravity). C systems need it set to P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back